Wednesday, June 21, 2017

UnLock Math Review

UnLock Math Algebra 1
Math has become a dreaded subject for my son this year. He really struggled with pre-algebra and was less then thrilled about moving on to algebra. I was offered UnLock Algebra1 from UnLock Math as a review product. I was so excited to try this new product with my son. UnLock Math
This is an online program. I found it very easy to register and find my way around the website. Each lesson has five parts. The first part is a warm-up to review past math concepts. Then the students watch a video. Next the students practice the concepts they have just learned online. They then go on to the Stay Sharp and Challenge Yourself sections. Lastly, there are reference notes that can be printed out. There are quizzes and a unit test for each unit. There are nineteen units in UnLock Algebra1. 
What My Son Thought ~ It is important to realize that my son was completely burned out on math at the time we got this product to review. Trying to find a fit, he had switched curriculum four times during his 8th grade year. He also has a long list of special needs and learning challenges. My son was very upset about trying out this math program. He really resisted me and I could barely get him to start the first lesson. He started with the pre-algebra review section, which is at the beginning of UnLock Algebra1 and found it less painful than he had expected. He found the videos clear and understandable. He thought the teacher was engaging and "friendly". However, he begged to go back to his workbooks after just a few lessons. Since it was the end of the year, I let him return to the math he was more comfortable doing. 

What I Thought ~ I picked up where he left off and did a few more lessons. I liked the format and videos. I especially liked the reference sheets that could be printed out and put into a notebook for study and reinforcement. I thought the material was well explained and the directions were easy to follow. I think I will try this program again with my son in August when we start back to school. However, I don't think I will continue with this program once the subscription ends, because the program costs $299 a year. That price is really out of my price range. I do think it is a bit pricey for many families unless they are really struggling with math and need to channel much of their resources toward this subject. I did, however, think that this program would be very helpful for a struggling student. I also like that it does all of the grading and recording. I like that I can access progress reports and that there is unlimited practice allowed. I did not request help, but they do say you can communicate with the teacher if you have questions. 
This is a solid program that is definitely worth consideration. To see what others on the review crew had to say, click on the banner below. Those of us on the review crew explored and reviewed different levels. 
Pre-Algebra, Algebra and Geometry {UnLock Math Reviews}
Blessings, Dawn

No comments:

Post a Comment