Elijah asked for a "Would You Rather?" challenge party for his birthday. He got the idea from one of his favorite shows on YouTube called Team Edge. I was concerned that his idea could backfire wildly. We are not the bravest of people and don't tend to be much into disgusting food, pain or other such feats that may be dangerous. However, he has asked for some variation of this idea for years, so I decided to give it a try. I put weeks of thought into coming up with challenges that would seem gross or "painful' without really being all that bad from our family's point of view yet would still seem exciting to Elijah. Together, we came up with a pretty good list. I also declared that having someone cry at your party was not a happy party and that each person was offered a free pass card on one challenge. If they didn't use their free pass card, they received $5 at the end of the party.
Our List of Challenges ~ We came up with 15 challenges and then doubled them so that each person had a 2 in 5 chance of getting each challenge. Each person got six challenges and picked them randomly from a jar.
Would You Rather ...
- Have a bucket of ice water poured over your head OR put your feet in an ice water bucket for one minute?
- Have hot sauce on half a donut OR eat four Blue Heat Takis?
- Have a balloon containing flour popped over your head OR have a balloon with maple syrup popped over your head?
- Have a small cup of buffalo wings-flavored soda OR have a small cup of butter-flavored soda?
- Have a small cup of pickle-flavored soda OR a small cup of mustard-flavored soda?
- Have a spoonful of apple-pineapple-sweet potato combination baby food OR a spoonful of ham baby food?
- Brush your teeth with Ooze candy gel (sour flavored) OR brush your teeth with baking soda?
- Drink Kool-Aid with Toxic Waste candy or Kool-Aid with Pop Rocks Popping candy?
- Eat Toxic Waste candy or Smog Balls Sour candy?
- Have two balloons containing glitter popped over your head or five water balloons thrown at you?
- Wear syrup socks for the rest of the game OR have your toes spray painted?
- Have a rubber band snapped on your wrist OR get a rat's tail (wet towel) smack on your back?
- On your next turn, do both challenges OR let some one choose which challenge you have to do?
- Have live crickets put down your shirt for 30 seconds OR get tickled for 30 seconds?
- Have others play Tic-tac-toe on the bottom of your foot with a pen or have someone draw on your face with a washable marker?
|The table of torture|
|Flour being popped on Elijah's head|
|Pop of glitter!|
|Tim's been floured|
|Sprayed painted toes|
|I got the ice water challenge|
|They loved drawing on Dad's face.|
|Maple syrup socks|
|They were hard to get on.|
It took just over an hour to get through all the challenges. It went much better than I thought it would and only Rebekah used her free pass. I can't blame her. I wouldn't have wanted to be tickled or have crickets down my shirt, either. Tim got the honor of having the crickets down his shirt. What a brave guy! There were no tears or angry refusals. A success!!
|Elijah got a new ukulele for his birthday, much to his delight.|
He wanted donuts instead of cake for his birthday treat, and we had Chicken and Dumpling Family Meal Basket takeout from Cracker Barrel for dinner. We also played a rousing game of Uno with advanced rules.