Thursday, June 4, 2009

Our Summer Plans

Our summer plans for $70 or less -- I want to find as much free fun this summer as possible so that we can quickly clear our credit card again. After 2 years of having no credit card debt, several situations all at once forced us to end up with close to $1000 on our credit card. I want it gone by September! We will be cutting corners all over the place to make this happen. So we will be having fun as cheaply as possible this summer. Why $70 you say? That is what came in a check of forgotten earned money last week. So here is my overall plan.

First, we will continue learning time and tea time each day. For learning time, the kids will be working in their summer workbooks (I tore up old workbooks and put them in a three ring binder in accordance with each child's weaknesses), play lots of learning games and continue reading lessons.

Please do ignore the chocolate on dd's face. We worked on writing our address in chocolate soy whipped cream right after breakfast!


I picked up most of these games from back-to-school sales at Walmart last year. The kids love them.

We will also be doing a one day unit study for Flag Day, a study of butterflies vs. moths, and whatever other rabbit trails my kiddos lead me down. LOL!

For tea time we are reading ~


Our next book will be  Five Little Peppers and How They Grew.

We will also be playing outside a lot doing this ~


and catching things like this to study ~


I have a long list of out of the home activities ~  
      • library programs   
      • adoption play group, which will be meeting at parks in our area    
      • our local lake with beach ~ $20 for one month unlimited admittance    
      • art museum on free day (first Wednesday of the month)   
      • nature center ~ free to us since Timothy volunteers there    
      • North Carolina Arboretum ~ free on Tuesdays    
      • Fun Depot ~ an arcade and fun center ~ I have a great coupon for $10 free play time when you spend $10.    
      • free Red Cross swimming lessons for Goldilocks at the end of June    
      • Botanical Gardens with awesome stream to play in ~ free    
      • hikes along the Blue Ridge Parkway    
      • ice Cream out at night ~ when it is dark~ my kids love dark summer night activities ~ $15    
      • Fourth of July downtown ~ free    
      • fireflies and toasted marshmallows    
      •  free movie camp ~ we can make it to most of the 8 weeks of movies.  
      • Children's Museum on free day    
      • berry picking ~ only cost is the price of the berries    
      • Chuck e Cheese ~ just for the games and rides ~ I'll watch for a great coupon on the Internet that will make it an afternoon of fun for $10 (we'll do this only if our adoption group goes there one day).   
      • Montreat Park which the kids call the waterfall playground because it is surrounded by mini waterfalls.
      • movie night at home once a week with movies from library or Redbox ~ $1 to free
Lastly, we will be concentrating on the garden and doing chores with a happy spirit! This is more challenging for one than for the others. They will all have good work ethic by the time they are grown up -- even if it kills me!

So what are you all doing this summer?

Blessings, Dawn

11 comments:

  1. I think we share alot of the same activities! Sure wish our Botanical Gardens and Childrens Museum had a free day. I know you are going to have alot of family memories this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great summer fun ideas and low budget gotta love that! Love the pictures.


    Jenna @ Newlyweds

    http://newlyweds.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam @ Mom's MutteringsJune 5, 2009 at 7:32 AM

    That is an awesome list of things to do. I am looking for lots of free things to do for my kids this year too.

    We'll be doing lots of volunteer work, playdates with friends, visiting the park, and some cheap field trips.

    Pam

    http://momsmutterings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a GREAT plan! Lots of good ideas on your list.


    Sorry I dropped off the face of the earth. I am back from my hiatus, but at a new location. I'd love to have you visit me at www.thepiratemom.com !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terrific plan! We will be going on our first big family vacation this year. We had to plan this a couple years in advance to be able do it. I am very excited. The kids will be able to see so many things they've never seen before ;-) Thanks for sharing your plans. This gives me some ideas I hadn't thought of for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an exciting Summer you have planned, can I come or send my kids :-) I hope to try out some projects too with my ds. He's already in play mode so whatever I do, must be fun and not seem like regular school. Wish me luck

    ReplyDelete
  7. This month we will be concentrating on going to my dd11's PT twice a week, and doing some fun activities at home, like the activities that came on our Colonial Life study from Homeschool in the Woods. The kids are still enjoying a book about pioneer life, so I think they'll like that too. We are also doing the library reading program. They finished 10 hours of reading the first week, which pretty much gave both of the big girls all of their prizes already. They like to go to the library. Next month they will have swimming lessons 4 days a week for 4 weeks. Between that and PT, I think our summer will be full enough. I also want to concentrate on tweaking our curriculum to make it more Charlotte Mason friendly.


    It was good to get caught up with you. Congrats on graduating Timothy. What are his plans now?


    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you have a lot of fun things planned for your summer! I love taking advantage of all the neat free things too!


    Blessings

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVED this post ! I have to ask hubby to help me find out some of the fun things to do in our small town. One thing I know is we have lots of hikes to do around here and we can swim at the lake. That is a favorite in our family. I am with you for getting out of debt and staying out of debt. This year is a year of using what we have and find free or very close to free. I hope you share some pics of your summer fun.


    Thanks for being such a great bloggy friend.


    Sending you blessings and ((HUGS)) my SSiC

    In Him<><

    -Mary


    PS: I NEED to look into a slip and slide ...that would be a good thing to keep the kids cool and having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great list of free/cheap stuff! We often get a summer pass to the provincial park that is close by us - this gives us unlimited use of dozens of hiking trails, camping, swimming and canoe-ing - all for under $50. I hope you share some pictures from your thrifty summer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And you thought my list was ambitious?! Looks like you will have an awesome summer.

    ReplyDelete