Monday, May 14, 2012

Muffin Tin Monday ~ Fun With Literature

We have enjoyed several books on tape in the car lately.  I wanted to do something hands on to go along with our listening and decided to make a muffin tin to go along with each book.  Our first book was How to Eat Fried Worms.  This book truly speaks to a boy's heart.  LOL!  My youngest son LOVED this book.  I was fortunate to find organic gummy worms that were free of corn (he is allergic to corn). The muffin tin had potato chips, yogurt, green beans, cheese cubes and a turkey meatball.  I added gummy worms to each section.


The kids enjoyed the fried worms muffin tin, so I went on and made one for Mrs. Piggle Wiggle.  This is such a wonderful and practical story about a wise woman who helps all of the mothers in the town train up their wayward kids. Each chapter covers a different fault that is plaguing a child.  I filled each muffin space with a food reminding the kids of each chapter in the book.
Top row of tin~
  • Chocolate coconut milk to represent the chapter on kids who never want to go to bed.
  • Little tiny cheese cubes to represent the chapter on kids who are small bite takers and never finish their meals.
  • Hot dogs and pickles on a stick represent the kids who never clean their rooms and need their food lifted up to their bedroom windows on a pitch fork (because they are trapped in their messy rooms).
Bottom row of tin~
  • A root beer float to represent the sweetness that comes when siblings stop fighting all the time.
  • Sunflower seeds that represent the parrot that taught children to stop talking back to their parents.
  • A radish to represent what could happen to kids who never take a bath.  (They just might get dirty enough to grow radishes on.)
  • Finished off with a label that read, "Don't Touch (insert child's name) Food", to represent the selfish children who never share.
The kids really enjoyed this activity.  I will use this for more books on tape.  I am joining Muffin Tin Monday.


Blessings, Dawn

5 comments:

  1. I love this! We'll definitely have to try to make some themed muffin tins.

    Thanks for sharing! :)

    Blessings,
    Kristine

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great...I love this idea, I think I will have to use it this week for our book! Thanks for sharing, how fun! Oh yes worms...we are still trying to get around to making a worm farm....for boy number 5!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the book tie- ins! What fun lunches!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun idea!!! Great job being creative with the food too! Thanks for praying for our family! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved How to Eat Fried Worms! My girls are just getting old enough to listen to books on tape. Now if I could get the CD player in the car fixed!

    ReplyDelete