Friday, August 24, 2012

Week 4 ~ Friday Wrap-Up


On My Mind ~ My mind is filled with thoughts this week.  The children are really getting into school.  They are in love with our latest Laura Ingall's book, On the Banks of Plum Creek.  It is rewarding to see them enjoying their studies so much.  This first week of living with only one car that does not fit our entire family went much better than expected.  We are hopeful that we will be able to hold out for a few months.  Not knowing when surgery is looming for my son still has me questioning whether we should take a semester break from the dance studio.  Performing in the Nutcracker is such a huge commitment, and it would be a pity to work so hard to prepare for the performance and then have to miss it if it turned out we had to be at Duke Hospital for surgery.

In Our Homeschool ~ The kids are just eating up On the Banks of Plum Creek.  They beg to hear another chapter and another and another.  There is no way I am getting in the way of their excitement to learn.  I think we will end up having a week to do all the projects after we finish the story.  They also are loving All About Spelling.  We learned all about non-vascular plants by exploring silly squares and studying lichen.  The only unpopular subject is their typing class.  The kids have also been busy working on their projects for the state fair.  I'm glad that I am requiring them to do a project or performance each quarter for public display, as it's good for them to face their critics and strive for excellence.

Our Nature Study ~ This week we are studying lichen.  This tiny little plant grows on rocks and trees.  It will only thrive in environments where the air quality is very clean.  We are fortunate to live in an area where lichen is easy to find.  We set off on our quest to find lichen, and I immediately lost the children to splashing in a mountain stream.  Oh well, if you can't beat them, join them.  We found lichen along the edge of the stream, much to everyone's delight.  If I had brought them a change of clothes, I think they would have sat in the stream to draw in their nature books.

What Is Working For Us ~ I made a chart at the beginning of the year of our daily, weekly, monthly and quarterly goals.  For example, I can check the chart weekly and remember that we want to do Draw Write Now each week or a new character trait monthly.  This is helping a lot with my weekly planning.

Counting Blessings ~ I am so thankful for our health.  We were blessed with some produce and organic food from our relatives, and it has helped a great deal this week.  Goldilocks is really enjoying homeschool choir and is so excited about the pen pal program they are doing this year.  I love to see her excited to write letters.  I am very thankful for my husband, who spends hours entertaining the kids each evening when I really need a break.  My Mom has a JCPenney credit card that got a free haircut for both my daughters this month, which was really helpful. 

Blessings, Dawn

11 comments:

  1. We're also working through the Little House series. We are listening to an audiobook of Little House on the Prairie and my kids keep begging for one more chapter, too.

    Best Wishes,
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dawn -- I did not know the surgery would be through Duke. My dad had eye replacement surgery at Duke many years ago, but was so impressed with everything there. He went all the way from S Florida just to their eye center, too.

    Sounds like your year is off to a great start. I admire your positive attitude. It's an inspiration to me! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just dropping by to say hello and catch up on y'all. Sounds like you are a good busy and extra busy with some challenges....no dryer and one car. Wow!
    You always seem to have such a good attitude about these things :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plum Creek is one of my favorite Little House books.

    The stream looks like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's something about water, isn't there? It just draws us, but especially kids, right in! Are you doing Apologia Botany? We're revisiting it again this year. My daughter requested it - it will be her 2nd time around, but she did it in 1st or 2nd grade - and my youngest son's 1st time. It's our favorite Apologia!

    Having one car can be a challenge! In May my van needed extensive work and we were down to one car that did't fit all of us. But it's also nice because it forcing you to slow and re-evaluate what's most important in activities. Anyway, I hope everything gets worked out!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your attitude in the face of trials is inspiring to read. Your family and son will be in our prayers. We are a nature loving, Little House on the Prairie reading family, too.
    One of the first read alouds I read to my daughter, now eight, was Little House in the Big Woods. The love began there...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Dawn, been a while since I've dropped by & you just keep on keeping on, you amaze me. We are reading the Little House books also. We are in "On The Shores of Silver Lake." We are taking our time about reading them, a few chapters here & there and my children are loving them too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful that the kids are enjoying the Little House books. I hope to make a trip to Mankato and see her house there sometime this fall, after we get settled.

    Glad you had a good week. I can't wait to get settled and get into a routine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am pro-chart!! Hope you have another great week - love the nature walk!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love all of the Little House books, but the girls especially enjoyed Plum Creek! Glad you had a good week:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey friend,

    Let me know if/when you will be at Duke. Would love to help or get together. (((Dawn))) Have you posted a copy of your chart? I would love to see it. I too am trying to remember to add in a few things into our week/month and would love to see how you are doing this. (Apologize if you have posted this and I missed it.)

    ReplyDelete