I know summer break just started, but my head is already racing with ideas for next year. I am a planner and there is nothing I love to plan more than my children's education. I always like to start my planning with a list of goals for my kids. This coming year I will have two middle school kids. This is an exciting time in their lives. They are growing so much and changing daily (so it seems). My primary goal is always to keep my children's hearts happy and fulfilled and help guide them successfully on their journey through life.
I have been thinking a lot about what is important during the middle school years. I want my children to become self-sufficient. I want them to explore, imagine possible futures for themselves and solidify their knowledge. I want them to enhance their critical thinking and take pride in a job well done. Lastly, I want them to be an asset to themselves, family, friends and the community.
Here are my goals for them next year. I will explain how we will achieve these goals in another post.
Goals for both kids ~
- Read great literature
- Learn to use both types of microscopes that we own
- Learn to use our telescope
- Learn to make and serve four different meals from start to finish
- Learn how to wash clothes from start to finish
- Learn now to make bread from start to finish
- Get as close to grade level in spelling as possible
- Become comfortable writers
- Do a research paper
- Stay on top of personal hygiene
- Increase public speaking skills
- Continue to dance and perform
- Complete a survey course of general science
- Achieve another grade level or two in math
- Lots of exploration of STEM activities
- Increase computer skills ~ PowerPoint, email, research online, etc.
- Serve ~ do charity work in several different settings
- See new places and do new things
Personal Goals for Tom Sawyer (13)
- Learn to play an instrument ~ Guitar
- Manage at-home physical therapy program independently
- Decrease his critical outlook on the world and negative self-talk and negative talk toward others
Personal Goals for Little Red Riding Hood (11)
- Learn to hand sew
- Learn to use a sewing machine
- Learn Pointe (ballet)
- Explore the French language