Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Hands-on Geography

I spent much of the summer sorting our belongings. Here is another teaching technique I want to remember. I found these from when the children were young. They are simple cut-out shapes that fit one inside of the other. The smallest is called "Our House" and has our street address written on it. That circle fit into a bigger circle that says "City" and listed our city's name. Next is a shape for "Our County", "Our State", "Our Country" and "The Continent" that we live in. This is a visual way to understand our place in the world. It also helped our children realize that cities fit into counties which fit into states and so on.
We no longer live at this address, but I blacked it out just in case.



Blessings, Dawn

2 comments:

  1. We've done the same thing with cans--teeny tomato paste cans inside of soup cans and so forth. We labeled each can the same way you have your mats labeled. I've got to say that I wish I'd known it could be as easy as using flat mats like yours. :) It was a pain to save the cans, remove the original labels and goo, file down the sharp edges, and wrap labels round each one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is a book which goes with this activity - maybe called I'm on the Map, or On the Map?? I can't remember what it is called but I do remember it being a really good book!
    Claire @ angelicscalliwags

    ReplyDelete