Friday, May 29, 2020

A Homeschool Mother's Journal ~ Pandemic Fatigue

I used to love this format when I was a new blogger years and years ago.

On my mind: I am feeling kinda blah about blogging today, but I am doing so because I wanted to record our lives during this pandemic. I think I have Covid-19 Fatigue. That's a thing, right?! As we open up here in western North Carolina, we are seeing more and more cases. The death rate in our county has doubled in just 10 days. It is interesting to me the difference in how people are being affected around the country and how they are responding. Of course, we are a huge country so we are bound to have a lot of variety. I worry about what is going to happen in our area when the tourists start arriving. We are a major destination year round. Our city doubles in size with tourists when it is in full operation. 

Outside my window: There is finally a bit of sun. We have had rain for days and days. My small vegetable garden is doing well. I need to get out there and weed it, though.  

What I am working on: We are planning our next big project. We are going to paint the stairwell and put down pet-friendly carpet treads. I am really excited about this project. Our stairs are so worn out and really need some new life breathed into them.

What we are watching: Gotham. We are on season five. My crew loves it and will be sad when it is over. We have also watched the latest season of Call the Midwife.

In our homeschool this week: We FINISHED physical science. What a relief! I thought we would never be done. Dean just has a little bit left to do and then he will officially graduate. We are so excited for him. Anne is almost done with 11th grade. We decided to skip Anne's end-of-year testing this year, since it wasn't required due to the pandemic. Plus, she already did the highest level of testing last year. Dean did his testing before the pandemic shut everything down.

Where we are going: This week has found us much more out and about. Anne went to her job three days. We also went to Sam's Club, a board game store and Target. It was interesting to note that more people weren't wearing masks now that it is required than they were a few weeks ago when it was voluntary. I would say that 75% were wearing masks. I was surprised and dismayed by that. I think it is rebellion on their part, not to mention selfish and self-centered. It is sad that so many see wearing a mask as a punishment or a right being taken away from them instead of realizing that they may be saving the life of someone around them. It is a small sacrifice to make for the betterment of the community. Speaking of masks, Anne said that the only family that came in without masks at her store this week had a 4 pound preemie with them. Crazy...

My favorite thing this week: Going out for ice cream and walking around a graveyard.  Everything feels new again after our long time at home.
The broken gravestone says, "All is well".
Blessings, Dawn



4 comments:

  1. I'm feeling the same as you...blogging doesn't hold the interest it did for me either. I'm mentally tired of all the constant changes from day to day in "protocol".

    Congrats on finishing science (my least favorite subject).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you're struggling. I hope that the sun and your projects will lift your spirits! I'll especially remember you in my prayers.

    Congratulations on finishing physical science!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our death rate is down 71% but we have had very few lifts in regulations. We are just now allowed to get together in groups of 10 indoors or up to 25 outdoors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete