Saturday, July 31, 2021

Vacation Day 1 ~ Tybee Island, Georgia

My sweet girl

We traveled to the outskirts of Tybee Island the night before so that we could wake up in the right area and be able to hit the beach early in the morning. The weather was perfect and the water temperature was great. The kids and husband played in the waves for several hours. I don't really like the sand, sun and creatures of the ocean very much, but was content to sit in my beach chair and enjoy the sound of the waves while watching my kids frolic. They got pretty good at body surfing.


I had a little friend for awhile.





For lunch, we went to an outdoor seating place that was well known for their fish meals. My lunch is pictured above and it was delicious. After lunch, we walked around the island a bit and up on to the pier boardwalk. We wrapped up our beach time with snow cones. Yum!

My crew are so tall


My family thinks they love the beach but never wants to stay more than a few hours. The sand and sun always gets to them pretty quickly. We always try to have other adventures when we visit the beach, since the actual ocean is a short-lived experience. 

We decided to visit Fort Pulaski National monument. Fort Pulaski was a brick fort used by the Confederacy during the Civil War. However, the Union army was able to use the newly invented rifled cannons (circa 1828) on the fort and quickly proved brick forts to be obsolete. The Union Army took over the fort in 1862, and it became a prisoner of war camp as well as extending protection to any run away slaves that could get to it.


There were lots of underground passages all around the fort, as well as a moat. We really found all of the tunnels to be fascinating. 



Enlisted men barracks

Mess hall

Commander's room

Vents in the ceiling to allow smoke to escape
from the cannons during combat




Damage done by the new rifled cannons

View of moat and damaged walls of the fort

I didn't get a photograph of the marvelous and huge fig tree. The figs were ripe and we were allowed to pick one fig each. They were delicious. It was a super hot day, and we got sunburned even with multiple applications of sunscreen. However, we had an excellent first day of vacation.

Blessings, Dawn

2 comments:

  1. What joy! I'm crazy jealous of your beach time because that kind of morning is heaven to me! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You just described how both me and my family feel about the beach too!

    ReplyDelete