Monday, October 2, 2023

September Happenings!

We enjoyed a day at the Biltmore Estate. We took Grandma with us to see the Italian Renaissance Alive show at the Biltmore. It was pretty good (although not as good as The Van Gogh Immersion exhibit I saw in Washington, D.C.), but very well done nonetheless. Rebekah and I also toured the house as we often do when we visit the estate. We also toured the greenhouses and some of the gardens with David. We had a fantastic time and miss having season passes. They really went up in price after the pandemic. 






Timothy, David, Rebekah and I went to the state fair one night (Elijah doesn't really enjoy the state fair and  had an event with some friends on the same night). We had a blast and really enjoyed doing multiple rides. Okay, Tim and Rebekah rode multiple rides. David and I are not much braver than bumper cars. We also ate too much fair food. At least, we shared everything. 



Elijah finally put in his two-week notice at Target and resigned his job at the end of September. I am sad that he got pushed out by one difficult person, but am so proud of his success working there for two entire years. I am hopeful that he is moving on to happier horizons. All the cakes at Whole Foods were Halloween-themed on the night I went to purchase one, so I created my own little twist. The skulls are for the hard and painful time these last few months were at Target for Elijah and the New Horizons is for moving onto new life experiences. He loved the cake and the gesture. He slept pretty much his first week home. Now Elijah is doing some adulting things that had fallen by the wayside--dental appointment, passport renewal, perfecting some driving skills so he can take the  driver's test and a bit of soul searching on where to go next with his work life. He is pretty sure that he wants to apply to Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. He is leaning toward working in the grocery field. Hopefully, he will be gainfully employed in a new job within a few weeks. 


My job is going really well. I love being a nanny. We have started going out into the world and are enjoy exploring all the libraries in the county, as well as Little Gym classes. I can't believe I have already worked with him for one year. 

Rebekah, David and I went to see the musical, Chicago. Tim and Elijah could not be enticed to attend. I must admit that it isn't one of my favorite musicals and I preferred the movie. However, we got some real bargain tickets. David and Rebekah liked it. Intermission was almost as exciting as the show when two men (one who resisted arrest) were arrested from the audience orchestra section. We don't know why, but it sure made a stir and delayed the second act. 

Much of September was filled with Innovations Waiver meetings and trainings. Rebekah and I are being trained to work with Tim, because he was approved for 40 hours a week (at least until they do more extensive testing on him). That is too many hours for Rebekah to do a week, so I will pick up the hours that she can't fulfill. I must say the training is pretty easy but very, very time consuming. Rebekah has completed the 30ish hours of training, and I have completed everything but renewing my CPR training. 

School is going great for Rebekah. She ended up moving into a refresher math class and is doing well in it. She is still taking five classes this semester. Dance is also going well. She was picked for Arabian (solo) in the Nutcracker this year. This role has been on her dream list for years. She will also be dancing Snow core, Flower core, and party parent. 

October is already upon us. This month holds so many joys and celebrations. We have two birthdays, a concert to attend and so many fun Autumn Bucket List items. 

Blessings, Dawn

2 comments:

  1. That sounds like such a fun and full month! I have always wanted to visit the Biltmore but have never made it out there yet; we often tour the "summer cottages" here in Newport, RI and I wonder how much grander their more year round residences must have had. I hope Elijah finds a new job soon; it definitely sounds like he made the right decision to leave though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such drama at the play!!!

    I hope Elijah can work at Trader Joe's. Everyone seems so friendly there. Maybe it will be a good environment for him.

    I totally understand sleeping a lot after stress!

    You all sound so busy and productive. Here's to an October of wonderful new beginnings.

    ReplyDelete