Friday, July 25, 2008

Show and Tell









 

This is my first time doing Friday Show and Tell, and I am excited about joining in.  I am going to show how I control the toys in our home.  I have been using this system for only a month in my home and it is working great.  We don't have a playroom or family room so toys were stored wherever I could find a spot. We used to keep toys all over the place.  You had to walk all over to put things away.  It really wasn't working.  So I started exploring how others did it and discovered some people use a toy closet.  We have a strange little area in our kitchen, perhaps meant as a breakfast nook back in 1931. But it really isn't big enough for a table for our family and always seemed like wasted space.  I decided to turn it into our toy "closet". 





The new toy "closet".  We used our old computer cabinet and old tubs from the basement.








The inside of the old computer cabinet.  I managed to squeeze in all the toy tools, Legos, play food, Technics, Brio track and trains, marbles and tubes, doll house furniture, Play Mobil, army men, puppets, and Bay Blades (spinning tops game).  I still need to finish labeling everything.





Along the floor are tubs of blocks, Lincoln Logs, musical instruments, figurines and the kid's Matchbox car mountain.  When they want something, they get the tub out and then bring it all back in the same tub when they are done.  So far, they are doing a great job returning everything.





This is our table time cabinet (old pie safe).  The kids can get anything out of here and play with it at the dining room table.  This part of the system has been around for a long time.  In here we have Mr. Potato head, Lite Brite, Playdough, money play, puzzles, coloring books and sticker books, crayons, markers, pencils, and lots of small games or games one can play by oneself.


There are still some toys in each child's room.  However, those toys are supposed to stay in their rooms.  In their rooms are dolls, our rather large Fisher Price village, dress up and the My Little Pony collection.  We also have a lot of games, family puzzles, and art supplies in two closets that the kids cannot get into by themselves.  I am so pleased with how this new system is working.  It is about time my home does not look like a toy store all the time!  


To see more Show and Tell Friday entries, go to Canadagirl .


Blessings, Dawn

19 comments:

  1. Welcome to show n tell! You did a great job of creating your own space for the toys! Doesn't it feel good to get things organized?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dawn~


    Welcome to S&T Fridays! I'm so glad you could join us! I hope you enjoy yourself.


    What a great storage idea for your kids' toys, books, etc. Isn't it wonderful when we find something that works for our family? :) Thanks for sharing!


    Have a great weekend,

    ~Shani

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you repurposed what you already had to be more organized! Great Show & Tell!


    God Bless, MeritK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Way to go. Now the trick is getting the kids to put everything back in its proper place when they're finished. My solution (I had containers of Legos in a similar arrangement as yours): When finished with one thing they couldn't get another until the original was picked up and put away. I know; kind of strict, but it saved mixing all the Lego up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this!!! We are using the portable shelving in the loft for games and toys and it seems I'm always cleaning it!!


    This looks absolutley wonderful!! Don't you love it when a plan works!!?


    Thanks for sharing,

    Robyn

    ReplyDelete
  6. blessedwith2angelsJuly 25, 2008 at 6:26 AM

    I think it is wonderful that you found a solution that works for you!

    It looks great.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very tidy and a great idea!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an accomplishment! Welcome to S&T.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the comment!

    I like what you did with the cabinet. Toys are a problem around here too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea, Dawn! Hm, we have an empty entertainment center upstairs; I wonder if I could talk DH into bringing it downstairs so that I can fill it with toys?? It's either that or give everything away, like I've been threatening to do! :)


    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea and nice way to keep things tidy :) I love how you used furniture like your china cabinet that you already had to instead of having to purchase something new :)

    Blessings,

    BChsMamaof3

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks like you've created a wonderful storage solution. Great job! Your kids must be able to stay entertained for hours!


    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome to Show and Tell! Were glad to have you.


    I love your solution for the toys - Toy Management is sometimes a very tricky part of motherhood!

    Antoinette

    ReplyDelete
  14. I sure enjoyed seeing how you keep the toys tamed in your house. You did a GREAT job ! And thank you for sharing with us. This is the time we are all gearing up for the school year and need a bit of organizing ideas. [0=


    Blessings and ((HUGS)) my SSiC

    In Him<><

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. It looks wonderful...Wanna come to my house and do the same thing? *LOL*

    I really need to get toys in order too...

    Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You look very organized. We need more control lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You must be so excited! I know I would be.......

    bethanyrae

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wonderful setup! I hope everyone keeps putting the toys back. What a blessing that will be!


    BTW, I think you live in the city where I grew up. (or near)

    ReplyDelete