Thursday, July 10, 2008

Back to School~Part I

I know it is only July, but we have plans to take most of October off for several special events, so it is time for us to buckle back down to the books.  We will officially start school on Monday!  This entry will be about my big teen's course work and part II will be about the little ones' education.  Aack!!  My big teen is entering his Senior year~12th grade could it really be?!?  This year he will be doing course work in~ U.S. Government, World Literature, World Religions, Algebra I, Career Prep (work skills), Community Service, and Chemistry/Physics (survey course ~ one semester each).  Yes, my head is spinning about helping him get through all of this material, but I have faith that I have picked good books and that will make all the difference.


For Algebra we will be using Teaching Textbooks.  I have heard so many great things about these textbooks; I hope they will not disappoint.





For U.S. Government, we are using Exploring Government by Notgrass.  I love the layout of this book, and my big teen has already been sneaking to read this text.  Hee Hee Hee!!!




World Literature will be covered by reading a variety of stories, poetry and essays from two Norton Anthology texts.




World Religions will be covered in part by me and in part by the retired college professor who taught his homeschool world history class last year.  I plan on having him listen to the Bible on CD once more, reading Quiet Rebels (a story of Quakerism in America which is our family heritage and how I was raised), and a large selection of DVDs from Blockbusters Online that explore several faiths that I really don't know much about.  He also would like to visit a few different faiths to see them in action on Sundays.  His teacher will be giving a historical explanation of how all of the world religions formed and explore why they are so often at war with each other.  We feel that it is important that our son understand different faiths so he can stand on solid ground in defense of his own.  We also feel that understanding those that are different than you helps break down walls of fear and create tolerance.





For Chemistry and Physics, I will be using Real Science 4 Kids.  Now this is an elementary text, but my son's learning differences are so severe that this will be appropriate for him.  In teaching this course, I will concentrate heavily in lab experiments, many from additional books.  He will also be reading some famous scientist biographies and watching some DVDs.  I still have to make a big order from a science catalog, so we will not get around to this course for a few weeks.





For Career Prep, he will be counting his internship at the regional nature center and several DVDs on interviewing skills, work ethics, etc.  He will also be working on his resume (many hours are already logged in this course).


For Community Service, many hours are already logged.  He does a lot of community service with our church, extra service with the nature center, family activities, and work with the food bank.


He will do about 100 hours per course. 


Blessings, Dawn

5 comments:

  1. Hi, My daughter went through this program last year. She loved it. I wanted to let you know that if your son completes everything this course can be used for a full credit of literature, Bible and Hisory. There are a lot of classics, daily bible and writing assignments.

    mom2many

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you have chosen some great courses for your son. It's sure to be a fun senior year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OOoooohhhh, my oldest will be in 12th grade this year, too! Amazing how fast time goes by, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For math this next year dd will do Algebra I with Teaching Textbooks. This will be our first year with it. They are growing up too fast, aren't they?

    Blessings,

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Dawn, I haven't been visiting the blogs for a while. It is great to drop by here and see what you're using for the new school year.


    We are looking into Teaching Textbooks Algebra 1 too for my eldest daughter as supplement. She is starting NEM1 Singapore Math but I am thinking of TT-Algebra 1 as supplement because she is quite a visual learner. I would like to know how it turns out with your child/ren.


    Warm blessings,

    Maria

    ReplyDelete