Saturday, August 16, 2008

Charlotte Mason Planning Bash

Photobucket

Wow!  It is time for another great Charlotte Mason carnival hosted by Westward.  To see more great entries, go to Westward.  I am going to talk about the areas I am planning to change or improve in my homeschool for this post.  If you want to read about all of the subjects we are doing this year, go here to read the big teen's plans and here for the three little ones' plans.


There are several areas of a Charlotte Mason education that I want to improve in our home school this year.  First, I want to use many more living books for math.  There are so many wonderful living books out there for math now.  I plan on using at least two a month with the little ones.  I will read them and do a few lessons around each book.  I also plan on adding in more hands-on activities, such as measuring/weighing stuff, playing all kinds of time/clock games, and lots more measuring in the kitchen.  However, I was concerned about how I was going to add in living books for the big teen.  He is studying algebra this year.  I have found two literature-based books on algebra and so far they are going well.  They are The Journey of Al and Gebra to the Land of Algebra and A Gebra name Al.  My son is really enjoying doing literature instead of math.  LOL!  He doesn't even mind learning the terms and definitions that will help him so much when we crack open the algebra textbook.

The second area that I would like to spend more time on is drawing with the children.  I still have not gotten nature journals going because I have some kids that want to draw what they actually see, and their hands can't create it exactly.  We spend a lot of time out in nature, but they are never satisfied with their drawings.  So instead of being excited about drawing what they see, they complain.  The point of education is to learn and get joy in doing it.  So this year, I am going to work on teaching the kids to draw so that they will hopefully enjoy keeping nature journals next year. I am using the Draw Write Now series.  The kids really respond well to this series and are pleased with their drawings.  I hope to have all the books in the next few months.

The third area that I want to see the little ones improve in is narration and attention to task.  The main way that I will be working on these areas is by reading chapter books to the children.  This has been going okay in the past few months, but I am not completely pleased.  For one thing, they like to play on the floor while I read.  This always worked fine with my oldest, an only child at the time, but the littlest ones start playing with each other and forget about listening to me.  Also, I have one dd who is a visual learner and paying attention to me is very hard for her.  I try to pick chapter books that have a picture somewhere in each chapter but that is sometimes limiting.  I have decided to move chapter books to the afternoon and have a tea time where the kids can eat and drink tea or hot chocolate while I read.  No more playing while I am reading.  

As for narration, I am sure that will improve as they become more practiced.  I am still thinking about how I can help my visual learner concentrate better on chapter readings.  She is my flighty child, anyway, so this is an area that is very hard for her.  I plan on reading the little ones 12 to 15 chapter books this year.  We are currently on our second book, Jeremy the Tale of an Honest Bunny, by Jan Karon and will then move onto Farmer Boy by Laura Ingalls.
Lastly, I will be working very hard on character training this year.  Most of my children just need a tune up, but my dd (7) needs an overhaul.  For those of you who follow this blog, you know that she has many issues, and although I understand that she is disabled, this does not excuse her constant disruptions in the home, disrespect to elders, and unkind attitude toward her siblings!  I have decided to take a "no tolerance" attitude toward her for the next few months and see if it will pull her around.  This does not mean that she will not be nurtured and have fun, but a lot more of her days are going to look like this until I see a shift in her attitude.

Thanks so much for coming by.  I hope we all gain lots of ideas from this great carnival.

Blessings, Dawn

10 comments:

  1. I didn't know that there were books about Algebra. I am going to look for these as they would definitely interest my son.

    I like the idea of a tea time while reading also. Thanks for sharing those great ideas.

    Pam

    p.s. I once hit my PE instructor with a tennis racket too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Howdy! I'm glad you are posting about Charlotte Mason. I have been looking into this and I have been considering it. Those algerbra books sound fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the CM homeschooling; it's not something I can implement too much here, but fun to read about lol. We have some issues here that need dealing with too...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great ideas! I want to add nature journaling to our school. I've just got too much I want to do and not enough time to implement!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I know you like to use living books, but have you considered using the Illustrated Children's Classics? There are pictures throughout and what I used to do when I was teaching elementary school was to copy the black & white pictures for the kids to color while I was reading. They then wrote about the picture in their own words. Worked really well and even though we weren't reading the actual books, at least they were exposed to the story. Some even decided to read the originals on their own. Just an idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, you are doing a great job! I'm excited for you as you begin your new year and start to implement some of those changes! What fun it is to homeschool and do what we think is best with our kids!


    Thanks for coming by my blog!!

    Come back anytime :)

    Amy

    Trujillo, Peru

    homeschoolblogger.com/amada

    ReplyDelete
  7. You certainly have it all planned. I am still reorganizing for our school start on the 1st of September. I am checking your living math books for algebra. My daughter started pre-algebra last year and will start NEM 1 (Singapore Math). But haven't thought of living math books for her so I am snagging your idea, if you please =). We had a blast with the Sir Cumference books years back. G is for Googol is also a great book! I also am thinking of having more art (drawing) - they seem to like photography better than working with pencils and crayons. More art appreciation (picture study) poetry and hymn study perhaps to add to our CM approach. I think my kids and I need more of these.


    Thanks again and have a great new school year!

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post and great ideas! I always love reading what others' methods are. I never thought about occasionally adding in some living books for math. I know my kids would like the chang-up once in a while from our more formal math lessons.


    By the way, I finally posted about the award you passed onto me a while back. I'm sorry it took so long!

    ReplyDelete
  9. THanks for stopping by.

    I don't let mine play while reading either. They might listen, but I don't feel like they are. I do let them color and draw, and they are able to listen then. Seldom do I have to bring their attention back. I let them gather colored pencils, crayons, coloring books, and blank paper...sometimes scissors...before we start. They either sit next to me or right in front of me on the floor. Sometimes I get them to draw about what is being read about.

    I hope you learn a lot on the carnival. Sounds like you have some good plans in place.

    We sometimes have to have "no tolerance" periods around here!

    Letitia

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Dawn,


    This is the first time I've visited your blog. My daughter also likes to color when I read to her. Typically, I buy some Dover coloring books every year. She especially likes the stained glass books. It may not be related to what we are presently reading, but it is related to something we are learning or have learned.


    Also, I've always stopped every page or two to ask questions. What do you think will happen next? What just happened? etc.


    And, now that she is getting older, we switch back and forth. I'll read a page and then she reads. This has helped immensely with her attention to the reading task at hand.


    Thank you for your post.

    ReplyDelete