Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Homeschool Open House ~ Our Tea Time

For homeschool open house this time, I am going to talk about one of our favorite times during the day that used to be a real problem area. This school year we added in a special time we call tea time. We get out the teapot, a variety of teas, and a good book to read aloud at snack time. I wanted to start reading all of the great literature that was out there but was having trouble keeping my 5, 6 and very special needs 8 year old engaged with chapter books that had no or few pictures. So I decided that if their mouths were full they would not interrupt me as often. Once everyone has selected their tea and snack is served, I read to them while they eat. It has become a time that they really look forward to, and we manage to do it about three to four times a week. We only read for about 15 minutes a day (we read a lot more during the day but only 15 minutes during tea time), but it is a time when I want them to give me their full attention and enjoy themselves. When I am done, they narrate back or are asked questions. So far this year, we have enjoyed the following books:

What Would Jesus Do?
Jeremy: The Honest Bunny
Farmer Boy
Sarah Plain and Tall
The Gift of the Magi
Little Women (we read about four chapters relating to Christmas and winter activities)
Skylark (currently reading)



Blessings, Dawn

6 comments:

  1. Oh my what a wonderful idea! I may try this sometime or maybe even something a little more thematic to go along with the book. Thanks :-)!

    Blessings, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a terrific idea. I like that you have refreshments and a good story. When I was in grade one and two at a one-room school, our teacher read to us while we ate. It was a time I looked forward to.


    Have your children come over to my blog and join in the quiz fun. I'm giving away a children's book.


    Blessings,

    Mary

    http://maryswritingnook.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I absolutely love this idea! Combining reading a very good book with "tea time" is truly so wonderful...

    Honestly, I think I am going to have to try this with my girls.

    Thank you so much for sharing this...and for participating in the Open House!

    Blessings,

    ~Tammy

    (Lattes and Lollipops)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea. With my 2, it's getting them settled with paper and colored pencils or markers. If I forget to get them settled or ask them to make sure they have all they need, it is up and down. They are still listening, but it drives me crazy! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a wonderful tea and story time!

    Before I start to read from any long, lengthy book...I put down paper and pencils. It keeps them quiet AND creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the tea time during story time idea!

    Blessings,

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete