Thursday, July 23, 2009

Reading Corner

We homeschool year round but are gearing up for our new books right now. After we finish up our current fun pirate unit study, we will embark on a fresh school year with brand new books. I have written up the children's goals for the coming year which I will post soon. 

Today, I am going to share about a change for Goldilocks (8). She has many special needs including FASD and RAD. Because of FASD, reading comes very hard to her; and because of the RAD, she has no interest in trying anything that is hard. To make a long story short, we are stuck on the reading thing. Progress is SO SLOW!!!! Goldilocks very much likes the world to center around her, to be in control of all that is going on, and for others to do her bidding. She does not see why others cannot read for her for the rest of her life. She even suggested that her brother, Tom Sawyer, be assigned to read to her whatever she might need read (computer games, etc.). Up to this point, I have been gentle with her and taught her phonics for short periods of time each day.  Well, I am really tired of spinning our wheels! Also, I feel like she is beginning to accept that she will never read and does not really mind. She also sees it as an opportunity to have a conflict with me. I'm not one to believe that everyone must read at a particular age, but I do think there are windows of opportunity. I feel like Goldilocks is at that place where reading is becoming a ball and chain instead of a delight. 

This year Goldilocks has the goal of learning to read. It is her only goal outside of being a well-behaved family member (another BIG challenge). I decided to make her a reading corner with lots of fun phonics games, videos, self-correcting puzzles, and the Leap Pad. Having her own corner that she spends time in gives her the power to decide what she is going to do. I want her to understand that we are here to support her, but she has the power to make her reading time a successful experience. She will do one-on-one reading lessons with me for 20 to 30 minutes each day and then off to her reading corner for 45 to 60 minutes. She may invite someone to play a game with her, and I will stay close to make sure she doesn't just turn on and off the machines. She has already tried that!

I will be adding other things into her reading basket as we go along. I am still thinking about an award system of some sort. Award systems for her have been a disaster in the past, as is often the case with RAD children. Some people have suggested that, because of her learning differences and low IQ, I'm asking too much of her. (Yet others have suggested she be placed in public school so that she will start progressing!) Even Goldilocks saw this as a punishment when I introduced her to her corner. However, if she were in school she would start getting lots of special services this year. She is technically in 3rd grade, and our state's public school system starts learning resource in 3rd grade. She would be pulled out of her regular class for reading resource, speech, occupational therapy, and other help every day. She would be missing music, physical education, art and all the fun stuff. So this is not meant to be a punishment but simply the reality that if you are struggling in an area you must spend more time working in that area. She is starting to warm up to the idea. I hope I'll be able to report progress soon. Has anyone else found special techniques to help a struggling reader with a bad attitude?





Blessings, Dawn

9 comments:

  1. Looks like a comfy and cozy place to read! Great idea!

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your goals for Goldilocks ! But I really suggest one more thing. We are loving the braintrianers and highly recommend it !


    http://www.thebraintrainers.net/


    I just LOVE Tara too ! She goes the extra mile and is WONDERFUL. Please let me know if you do it or what you think of it. IF anything talk to Tara and share your story. I pray many blessings on this and your family is in my prayers.


    Blessing and ((HUGS))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also am not huge on kids needing to read early (I am waiting longer with my younger two). I don't have kids with special needs so cannot speak to that but, I do think (and do this with my kids) spending 20-30min with the child and having them read to themselves each day for 45-60min. is reasonable.

    Blessings on you as you walk through this time.

    -Dusti

    www.kimmelkids4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see you have the reading corner set up, but are you also considering public school this year, or does she already attend?


    Have you ever heard of the phonics game? It is a reading program that uses games to teach kids to read. Something like that might be seen as a fun thing instead of school...


    My little girl was a delayed reader, but at about 8 she finally caught on...


    I will pray for you and your sweet Goldilocks.


    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was confused. When you were describing what the public school would be doing with her, I was confused as to what that meant. I'm glad to see that you aren't feeling pressured by that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to mention, after your comment on my blog about "Rough Riders" is to be sure to preview the movie before the kids see it. It is really a great movie but for young ones it needs to be previewed.

    Blessings,

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, Dawn, just checking in . It sounds as if you have gotten some great advice. I like the corner and the ideas--you always amaze me with what you do. I have another friend who used a set of books with her children, and I'll try to find out what she used to help him get through some of what you described. God's blessings to you.



    Belinda

    www.homeschoolblogger.com/bbullard

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet, cozy little reading corner you set up! I know I've said it a thousand times, but I just love your ideas!


    Blessings,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a wonderful spot. I love how carefully attentive you are to your chidlren's needs and abilities in setting up goals for them. This is encouraging to me! I know things will be quite different for us when we leave the umbrella of early intervention.


    You are a wonderful mom!


    Blessings

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete