Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Thirsty Thursday ~ Socialization

I had to laugh when I saw that the topic was Socialization at Thirsty Thursdays. I am trying to set the schedule for next year right now and am struggling to find a balance between being home enough to keep the house running, child training and completing our schoolwork and getting out to socialize with others. I think it is important to say that many people think socialization is the act of hanging out with other people. This is true in part, but not the whole picture. I have four children and three of them have special needs. One of my children has severe sensory problems to the point of appearing at times to have Asperger's Syndrome. I have another child (adopted) with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder. My oldest son was born with a damaged brain (Dandy Walker Cyst Syndrome) and severe shyness and anxiety (mostly from his years in public school). All of these children, because of their special needs, struggle with social skills. We spend loads of time working on social skills in our home. So, while I think it is important to go out into the world and meet with other human beings, I also need time at home to teach proper behavior again and again. In other words, my children are socialized at home, practice their skills at home and then practice their skills in public. 

My oldest son, who graduated from homeschooling this past May, is a great example of a homeschooled kid. He was homeschooled for 10 years. Even with his special needs, he is adored at the nature center where he has volunteered for the past seven years. His boss and other staffers have used the following words to describe him: invaluable, team worker, good with the public, eager to help, delightful, knowledgeable, and someone they really enjoy being around. He took a few homeschool history classes with a retired college professor during his last two years of homeschooling. She said he is funny, knowledgeable, always contributes in class and is fun to be around. We also have heard the same from church, fencing and drama classes in the last few years. People often say that my little ones play well together, are conversational with others, and share well with strangers (toys in doctor offices, etc.). 

With all that said, I am very careful about what activities we do outside the home. My kiddos can't just go into any situation and be successful. They need lots of prep work for simple things like the library or standing in lines. Boy, do they have a hard time standing in lines! I try to find classes that are small, calm, and with good role models. This is our current plan for the next school year.   
  • Mondays ~ Homeschool co-op (everyone) and ballet (Little Red Ridinghood)    
  • Tuesdays ~ Play therapy and swimming (Tom Sawyer)    
  • Wednesdays ~ Home    
  • Thursdays ~ Home    
  • Fridays ~ Speech (Goldilocks) and Fencing (Tim)
I am also starting a Five in a Row (FIAR) field trip club for special needs kids to be held on the second Wednesday of the month. We are going to try the local art museum's art class for my younger three on the 2nd Tuesday of the month. We also have Tomatis (sensory integration/occupational therapy) in September. and December for 8 day loops. I am also trying to figure out if therapeutic horseback riding lessons will work out for Goldilocks or if she will take dancing instead. 

That is more than enough socialization for us! 

Blessings, Dawn


10 comments:

  1. Although my children don't have the same needs as your children, I can totally relate to the need for balance. This upcoming year is going to be so much busier for us than any previous year. I'm hoping that I'll be able to keep everything in balance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your saying....



    "In other words, my children are socialized at home, practice their skills at home and then practice their skills in public."


    This is a great summery of what I have tried to explain to people for years. Your are a very wise mama you are doing a GREAT job.


    I have been missing you and wanted you to know. I think life will slow down just a bit for me. ((hoping)) so I can get around bloggyland more.


    Sending you blessings and ((HUGS))

    In Him<><

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think your schedule looks good. I think you are doing more than we are! We have so many therapies right now (6 per week) that I find I don't want to run around a lot! My oldest three are in sports and we are involved in our FIAR group. I've debated another type of co-op (small), but not sure I can pull it off this year. Just juggling a lot with a lot of different needs - like you are! You are wise to guard your time!


    Blessings

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post.

    I'm glad that you keep a blog to remember everything because when you finally have more time, you should write a book - one for special needs children and your perspective and your experience, but also for the average homeschool parent, too.

    Antoinette

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed your post. I fully agree that our children need balance in their study of social skills (whether they have special needs or do not). Tossing kids into every social opportunity is not proper teaching of socialization skills. Throwing them to the lions doesn't make them any more ready for the world! LOL Careful consideration and proper introduction is what we all need to be providing.

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I forgot to identify myself above. Sorry!

    God bless,

    ~Rhen


    http://yestheyareallmine.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You forgot Play dates at T-Monster, always good for socialization with the "hyper, glutein eating freaks", Ha ha


    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like your days are very very full!!! I too, struggle with getting out and finding that balance. This year will be extra difficult with a newborn and toddler. I'm not sure that I'm looking forward to it at all. We'll see how it goes. Right now, we've just joined a geography group that meets twice a month and the three oldest are in Taekwondo, which is after school hours. The oldest is in Boy Scouts and the two oldest girls want to do Girl Scouts. That with Awana, will be quite enough on our plate. Thankfully, most of these activities are after school, however, this means running around during dinner cooking time and dinnertime itself (although I'm trying not to do that).

    Good luck finding your balance!!

    Have a wonderful summer!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dawn wrote:

    'So, while I think it is important to go out into the world and meet with other human beings, I also need time at home to teach again and again proper behavior. In other words, my children are socialized at home, practice their skills at home and then practice their skills in public. '



    Ya' know what? This is true of any child, "special needs" or not. Our family went out on a rare in-restaurant dinner after our son's competitions last week. We sat next to a couple who spent the whole meal yelling, and I mean YELLING, at their children to sit still, eat, stop playing, quit fighting, etc. It was annoying and I was, at the same time, embarrassed for the family as I believe wholeheartedly that parents send the best they can out into the public.


    Anyway, I thought you were well on track here with wisdom for all of our kids. Moreover, each one of our "unsocialized" crew here, ages 14, 11, and 6 can relate to children and adults of all ages as polite, respectful, and fully engaged. That's true socialization.


    God bless you with your awesome self, Dawn!

    ReplyDelete

  10. It's great, the way you are so thoughtful about what you do with your children. I'm sure they benefit hugely from your approach, and it sounds as though your oldest is thriving.


    Blessings


    Annie Kate

    ReplyDelete