Thursday, October 1, 2009

A New Adventure

After much thought and prayer over the last year, we have decided that our current home is the "forever" home. We like our low mortgage, land, location, and living in a vintage home. There was only one major problem ~ we needed one more bedroom. We have a unique situation where each of the children needs their own room. Because of Goldilocks' psychological issues, it is not safe for her to share a room with Little Red Riding Hood. Her behaviors are just too unpredictable, and we want both of our dd's to find their bedrooms to be a peaceful, safe place. Goldilocks also sleeps behind an alarmed door for everyone's safety. Furthermore, our disabled 19 year old son will continue to live with us for many years to come. It is important to us, while he needs much support and care, that he also have some independence and a space of his own. So it would not work for him to share a room with his 7 year old brother. That has left our youngest son and daughter sharing a room for a few years. All that said, we decided we had to add a room to our home.

So....the adventure begins. The first indication that something was really going to happen was this showing up in our driveway.

I bet this had any neighbors that we don't know talking up a storm. (We know the neighbors well on either side of us, but cannot seem to get past the waving stage with the folks across the street ~ they keep to themselves but watch us a lot.)

Then changes started inside the house. Bye-bye, bedroom window! This will all be dry walled over after the inspector comes out.


Then this morning the crane came! It was really cold and foggy outside, so the kids only stood outside for a few minutes. I kept telling them how exciting this was but they just kept shivering.






It will be a small railroad room (meaning you have to walk through one room to get to the other), but we are so happy the project is underway. We are also very happy with our contractor, so far. I interviewed a lot of men, but one just stuck out as being really honest, caring, and willing to really look at ways to save us money and build a little bit green. He really is proving to be all that and more. He is very good about safety issues and in giving the kids a safe space to watch and learn. He grew up in a family with 13 kids, so it must come naturally to him to think what the kids need! Also, the men he has hired are very respectful, and I have heard no bad language out of them at all. 

Week one down!  I can't wait to see what next week brings.

Blessings, Dawn

13 comments:

  1. I wish I had been there to see the crane put up the trusses. The big question now is --- who gets the new room? Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had our attic converted into a 4th bedroom for Ashley in the spring and we are all loving it! Can't wait to read more updates about your new bedroom. Who will be moving into it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting, Dawn! I'm so glad you found a good contractor, and I'm looking forward to seeing the end result. Oh, and I loved the porta-potty picture! :)


    I've been reading your blog but haven't had much time to comment. I was especially interested in the series about shopping for $75/week. I've always thought that we couldn't participate in something like that because of our special (expensive!) dietary restrictions. I was so impressed and inspired to see what you did.


    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, please keep us updated and provide pictures also. How wonderful for you!! I'd love a forever home. Actually, I'd love any home right now. Moving every few years is an adventure that I love, but it would be nice to pick a layout that I like and paint the walls something other than white!!


    Blessings,

    michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Dawn this IS very exciting! I of course am not shivering with cold as I read the entry so I need far less convincing! It is great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, what a neat "adventure!" May God sustain you through the "noise and mess" that will be yours! I LOL'd when I saw the porta-potty! Great starting shot!


    God Bless you,

    Lori (aka Plans4You and Serenity in the Suburbs)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dawn!

    That is soooo exciting! What an adventure to be building and what peace you must have to have a final decision to stay in your home.


    I can't wait to see what it looks like when you are all done.


    Thank you for answering my questions about groceries, too.


    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohhh this IS a adventure !!! I remember as a kid growing up my dad tearing down one wall and rebuilding it and going all around the house. Then he added on a section that had 4 bedrooms and two bathrooms to the house. I loved watching all the building. I like your mom is asking who gets the new room ??? Also how long do you think all this will take ?


    Blessings and ((HUGS))

    In Him<><

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have one of those those railroad rooms (never knew that's what they were called) which both of the boys has had a turn living in. Now that my oldest is out of the house its the classroom. I know whomever gets the new room will love it. And I'm so happy you found a good contractor. That can be hard sometimes. I can't wait to see the changes made.

    BTW- I love the style of your home. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very exciting changes. I bet the kids love to watch the construction. I know I would!

    ReplyDelete
  11. How exciting!! I love it when things are being renovated....okay not so much being in the middle of it, but the excitement about the outcome. I hope this space gives you all the freedom your children need! It's so great you have a respectful contractor. My husband was one for many years, and good ones AND nice ones are not easy to come by!


    I didn't intentionally drop off the blog planet. I hope to say I'm back to it. I've missed everyone.


    Letitia

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fun! I think the whole process of watching the new room go in would be a blast...if not testing of patients! What a blessing for all of you.

    I totally understand the need for each child to have a quiet safe place of their own. Your family is so very giving and unique. God surely is blessing you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! I love your house! I think I would want to stay there forever too. Congratulations on starting your building project. I've been in several houses (new even) with railroad rooms (though I've never heard the term.) Very nice.

    ReplyDelete