Friday, June 18, 2010

24 Hours

I am about to spend 24 hours in the woods with my children and husband ... 24 hours of bugs, snakes, bears and who knows what else. I am going camping. Those of you who know me in real life can stop laughing now.

Last year we promised the kids we would camp one night in the backyard. All went well so we told them that this year we would camp farther away than our backyard. Since they did not accept the neighbor's backyard as being farther away, we are going one hour away to a state campground. I want to point out that the state campground is across the street from a very nice inn. My dh says I am to sleep in the tent with everyone else and not at the inn. Lucky for him, I really like my family and would rather be eaten by the bears with them than to be left behind. I did promise that I would only wake people up around me two or three times to ask them if they heard that noise or if their side of the tent is less lumpy than mine. (If it has less lumps, I'm trading sides.) There it is in writing, now I really can't torment my family. All kidding aside, I am looking forward to camping ... a little bit ... mostly, for the family memories, s'mores and picture-taking opportunities. To prepare for this maiden camping trip in the real woods, I have been stalking Tracy's blog. She did a really excellent camping 101 post, and I have followed her instructions to the letter. We are even eating the exact same food as she posted. LOL I did add in two changes of clothes and bathing suits because my children are mud magnets. Oh yeah, I added a snake bite kit and an air mattress! Tracy, what,  no air mattress?! REALLY?

Wish me luck and if you don't hear from me by Monday, send out a search party!

Blessings, Dawn

7 comments:

  1. LOLOL Having gone camping with you several times, my dear daughter, I think your family is VERY LUCKY that you are taking an air mattress, since otherwise you will poke them all night long to say you cannot sleep. However, I did my best in raising you -- sending you to two years of Quaker Camp plus Adventure Camp and Indian Camp, so I really think you should be a trooper by now. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can do it, Dawn!
    You won't regret it. Even if it rains, it is just such a bonding time as a family that cannot compare to anything else.
    No, no air mattress, but we do have sleeping pads and they are pretty awesome. They are small, thin and comfy and easy to pack.

    I can't wait to hear all about your trip :)
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a braver woman than I. I loathe camping. My crew goes camping a few times a year. I try to avoid it if at all possible. Hope all goes well and you have a good time.

    Jamie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I can't wait to hear how it went! We had the same goal with the backyard camping last year, but we never got further than setting up the tent! One of the boys came in to inform me that there was a MONSTER spider in the tent. I refused to even set foot inside after hearing that! ;)

    Growing up, we did a lot of camping, and I agree that it's a wonderful bonding experience. I just don't think I could do it now with my health issues. Nick said that he'd bring the knee-high queen air mattress for me if I'd agree to go. Now that would be a sight!

    Denise :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read your first post on the camping trip, and I thought, "Wow! She's such an outdoorsy person, and this looks like such fun!" Then I read this post, and I laughed all the way through it, thinking, "Wow! She is just like me!" I'm laughing now!

    Seriously, one of the homeschool groups here wants to have a camping trip later this summer. Having read your blog post, I might actually feel a bit better about embracing this trip...slightly...maybe...perhaps...


    Love you! God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This post just made me giggle. You have a great attitude and I love how intentional you are with making good memories!

    Blessings
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete