Thursday, June 10, 2010

Therapy Thursday ~ This Is My Box

I recently realized that I had dropped the ball when it came to doing home therapy with my SID (sensory integration dysfunction) kids. Somehow in my mind, I had decided that taking them to Tomatis every 2 to 3 months was enough. After all, both of them graduated from occupational therapy last year, so my work was done, right? Not so much! I put it out of my mind that SID is incurable and went on studying other issues my kids had.

My Tom Sawyer did very poorly on his reevaluation for OT and Tomatis a few weeks ago. I explained to his occupational therapist that he seemed to be at the end of his rope all the time and was often in distress. Tom Sawyer's meltdowns were increasing in length and he was having them five to eight times a day. His OT decided to increase his Tomatis program to every 8 weeks with 10 day intensives, and we are most likely restarting weekly occupational therapy (at my request).

This prompted me to reread The Out Of Sync Child Has Fun and work on creating a new sensory diet for my children at home. Both boys are diagnosed with severe SID and Goldilocks has some SID issues. On Thursdays, I will be sharing on this blog about what games and activities help my children. I thought I would start by sharing my indoor OT box.

I started my renewed journey with sensory integration by collecting frequently used OT/sensory items in the house and putting them all in one place. I found some things in closets that had not been touched in 6 months or more!! I then took my birthday money from my aunt and purchased this really nice trunk at Big Lots.

This is what is in the box so far: balance board, weighted 4 pound ball, thera-putty, shaving cream, popper, chewing gum, flashlights for vision therapy, pressure brushes, pressure vest, shoe with special laces, gym mat, trays and two books to help me. I will be adding a great deal more over the next few weeks, but this is a start.  I employed the sensory diet during most transitions yesterday, and I did notice an improvement.

Each week I will be posting more of what we are doing in this area. If you want to add your own ideas, leave them in the comment area or email me.

Blessings, Dawn

6 comments:

  1. I'm looking forward to reading your blog entries on this topic.

    Sara
    5 Boys and Charlotte Mason

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love trunks and cupboards full of goodies. Makes me sooo happy. :)

    Also wanted to tell you that you won the drawing at OLM (Too.)!
    Send me a note with an email address you'll check, and I'll send you the code as soon as she sends it to me. (she's usually really fast - like an hour or so.)

    woohoo!
    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very curious about this. I am really in the dark about this and have to admit I never had heard of this till I read about it on your blog. I pray many blessings on your re centering and the spiritual, emotional, and phyical health of your children. ((HUGS))

    Blessings and ((HUGS)) my SSiC
    In Him<
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn, I look forward to learning more about this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! I need to do more work in this area too. Daniel just recently graduated OT as well and I don't want this to be the "beginning of something" that is much harder, kwim? I have that book too and one of my plans for the summer is to work more on this. I look forward to hearing more from you on this. Maybe I'll be inspired to share too (if I felt like I had anything to share!).

    Hugs
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am also looking forward to reading your blog on Sensory issues. My daughter struggles with it also. We have to get pretty creative at times. I have also slacked here lately and have noticed I need to not be so lazy on it. She is still in therapy but, it is not enough once a week. I have a basket of crazy things in my living room and downstairs. I am sure when people come over the first time to my house and not knowing my daughters medical history they might think I am a little nutty. Thanks again for sharing I look forward to following your blog.
    Renee

    ReplyDelete