Sunday, November 21, 2010

A Day In The Life ... November Edition

What a race we have been in this month!  We just finished another loop of intense sensory/OT therapy and are deep in Nutcracker rehearsals.  In addition, we still have all of our normal schedule to get through.  We are some very busy people right now.  We really need to slow down a bit, so I did something different for homeschooling today.  I told the kids we were having a homeschool choice day and that they could each pick 2 educational things to do after reading lessons.  Everyone would do all of the choices, which meant that a minimum of 9 educational things would happen, including my choices.  They were very excited about my idea.

The day was kicked off with Lite Brite, followed by Addition War,

Old Maid, and Chutes and Ladders.


Next, the girls read to me while Tom Sawyer had independent reading time.  I also read them two chapters of Ramona Quimby, Age 8.  We then finished listening to a book on tape about Squanto while folding a mountain (8 loads) of laundry.

Then the kids went back to games.


They played the game Timing It Right, which is a great game to help reinforce telling time, and Dora Memory. They finished off floor time with a 4 foot 100 piece safari puzzle.


Then the children ate lunch and watched a Wishbone show.

The kids enjoyed some free time and then we went off to the Science Museum for our first homeschool class.  It was called "Weather Watchers" and was a very fun class.  In one hour, the kids were able to perform four science experiments and watch/participate in a little skit on the water cycle.  It was very nicely done, and we plan on going to another class next month.


testing water temperature


testing breath wind speed with an anemometer

We finished off the day with dance lessons for the girls.  I was pleased to see that by the end of our freestyle day, the kids had covered science, P.E., literature, history, math, fine motor skills, and language arts.  In addition, everyone got a break and there was lots of work on cooperation and sibling bonding.  Another great day down!

Blessings,

Dawn


3 comments:

  1. What a wonderful idea!! I've decided that on Wednesdays, we will do History projects, science experiments, art or music, and then play games. I have a ton of educational games that we never seem to get to play, so I've decided its time to play some.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great day! My children would love something like this too! Thanks for sharing!

    Blessings
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful day. *grin* You are so smart as usual. ((hugs)) I need to remember to do this one day soon. I am praying that all continues to go well with what you are up to my SSiC.

    Blessings and ((HUGS))
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete