Saturday, May 29, 2021

Cooking for a Lifetime

I think we all can agree that raising children who can feed themselves healthy, budget-friendly meals is crucial. I really didn't feel like Elijah was prepared for cooking for himself as an adult. He enjoys cooking and has cooked next to me since he could hold a spoon, but cooking independently was not a common occurrence for him. Then during the last few years, he stopped cooking during times when he was drained of energy from the academic demands of high school. So during the past few months, I determined to make his cooking be a priority. He has been working his way through the book How to Feed Yourself by Spoon University. I love almost everything about this book. It talks to its audience as if they are a college student or perhaps just starting out in their own apartment with very little money or skills. It has a fun, youthful, non-judgmental vibe. 


Much to my delight, he hasn't complained about cooking the meals at all. He mostly makes them for me and serves them to me for lunch. I can't say he is the greatest fan about eating the meals himself. He is in that phase where he would rather survive on Cheerios, gallons of milk, any soda he can acquire and meat. However, he does try each dish and says that they taste good. I agree. I am very impressed with the meals so far. Most of them are single serve, but there are a few to make for your "roommates" or if "your mother is coming to dinner and you don't want her to think you are going to starve".

Fancy ramen

Frosting cupcakes

Healthy Mexican rice bowl

Scrappy cream cheese pasta

Shrimp and steak

Rotisserie Ceasar chicken wrap ~ this was my favorite so far.

A microwaved egg

We plan to continue with the book until he has cooked everything at least once (less one chapter). My only complaint is that there is a small section in the book for making fun, boozy cocktails. We are a dry household and with two adopted fetal alcohol syndrome kids, we focus a great deal on the dangers of alcohol. I wish they had left those recipes out. I may consider how they can be made into mock cocktails.

Blessings, Dawn



4 comments:

  1. What a good plan! My Pixie lived on pasta and potatoes her first semester of college--even though she did help cook at home. This semester, she's been doing ever so much better with eating healthy by meal prepping in advance. Learning how to feed yourself is crazy important!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a good basics book. You do have to wonder why they thought knowing how to make cocktails is needed skill?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like such a fun book! My youngest is pretty lazy when it comes to anything having to do with cooking and could really use the practice. He's already nominated his brother Alec to host all family holidays and do all the cooking once they are all grown and out of the house. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. The rice bowl and the wrap look delish! I bought a kids cooking book, and my kids haven't even seen it yet, lol. I was thinking I'd have them work on kitchen skills this summer. We shall see. ;)

    As the parent of young adults, the cocktail section makes me raise an eyebrow, too. Most of them are quite happy just popping a can or bottle cap. Although my Marine tells stories of making Jungle Juice with his friends. :eyeroll:

    ReplyDelete