Saturday, May 22, 2021

The Filming of Thumbalisa (Adaptation of Thumbelina)

Rebekah completed her last production with Asheville Contemporary Dance Theater (ACDT) as a high school student. She was the main character for the performance of Thumbalisa (Thumbelina). Because of COVID-19, they filmed the performance without an audience, using both inside and outside venues. I can't wait for the film to be released sometime in June. The last few weeks have been emotional for Rebekah. Growing up and transitioning to new adventures are exciting but hard. She has been with this dance studio since 2010 and has danced in performances with them for twelve spring seasons. There are so many memories. With COVID, everything felt and looked different from learning the pieces, rehearsals, costuming and the final performance. Rebekah worried that she didn't know the dances well enough and that everything felt very disorganized. However, in the end she felt good about it. I think it is going to be as wonderful as other performances from the photos I have seen. On to new adventures.... I am so grateful for all that ACDT did for Rebekah. They gave her a beautiful theater education and lots of dance exploration.






Flashback ~ Here is Rebekah in her very first performance with ACDT in 2010. She was a Cheshire kitten in Alice in Wonderland. I could hardly guess then what an amazing journey this child would take me on! Just as I can hardly imagine where she will be in a few more years. I look forward to the journey.

Blessings, Dawn

4 comments:

  1. Bittersweet time, isn't it. I'm glad she's been able to follow up passion so consistently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see what she does next! I am sure her performance was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What a season! I'm with you--it's going to be exciting to see where she goes next!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, lasts are rough! The pandemic has made everything so weird. I'm glad she's been able to continue dancing.

    ReplyDelete