Sunday, September 19, 2021

Hints of Fall

We made our traditional trip to an apple orchard last weekend. Unfortunately, we were not able to pick apples this year. Our area lost 75% of the apple crops due to two late spring frosts so none of the farms are allowing pick-your-own apples. There is just too much waste when everyone heads into the fields and picks apples that aren't ready. We were able to buy a bag of apples at the farm store and they were delicious. We ate all of them already! We also had apple freezies, apple cider donuts and brought home a gallon of apple cider. 
We had so much fun playing at the apple cannon. They use apples that dropped and aren't salable. 


Since we couldn't pick apples, we decided to pick one of the other crops offered. They had both grapes and flowers ready for picking. We decided to pick flowers. It was a perfect morning. I do cherish these moments with my nearly grown up children. Who knows how many more we will have before the two youngest have flown the nest?



All the Rest
~ We are still dealing with lots of shortages at the stores. I am not sure if it is worse here, because we are a small central city that supports about five rural counties around us or if everyone elsewhere is also experiencing shortages. What is it like in your area? This was the cat food aisle at one of our local grocery stores this week. I haven't tried the two pet stores because they are more expensive, but I may need to if they don't restock soon. I am trying to stay at least one week ahead in supplies for the cats.  

Rebekah needed a professional grade training tutu for her training program. Her new one came in and is so stiff. It moves perfectly with her. 


Otherwise, things are flowing along well. Helping kids grow into adults is filled with so many teachable moments. I always seem to be realizing (sometimes after the fact) something new that I haven't taught the kids. Nothing earth shattering, just little things, such as "It is good you didn't get a store credit card and here's why" moments. There are so many little teachable moments that still come up every single day. I don't know how others just turn their kids loose and hope for the best. 

Blessings, Dawn

5 comments:

  1. We don't have many shortages at all in our grocery stores anymore (that I've seen or noticed). I wonder why the pet food was so hit so hard... Those apple cannons sound like so much fun! We have been to the orchard a few times this season and we're hoping to go again this Friday to pick apples, get some cider, and perhaps some mums too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We don't have shortages in our grocery store; however we do have shortages on workers to stock the shelves as nobody seems to want to work.

    The apple cannon souns like loads of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No shortages here, either. I wonder what's up in your area?!?!

    I love that apple cannon idea! I've never heard of it. So funny!

    Rebekah's tutu is so, so pretty. What joy for her to be making progress in living her dream. My Pixie sent me a picture of her worn ballet shoes (not pointe) and I asked if it was time for new ones. She sent me a message saying, "No! They're just worn in and comfy!" I laughed.

    I think it is lovely that your adult children go on outings with you. Our outings are still so small child centered that my older ones don't want to go with us. I guess I should plan an older kid outing . . . if we can stay safe with the young ones!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've noticed a lot more gaps on our store shelves lately, too. Random things will be unavailable a couple trips in a row. I think it's not necessarily that the items don't exist, but more that they're having a hard time getting them to the stores in a timely fashion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving her tutu. I have not worn a nice tutu for more than a year now. At least things are slowly returning to normal. I went out for a tasty pizza on Friday of last week at a local pizza shop. Over the weekend I then did food shopping and also helped a injured fox. On Sunday I sat and carved a pumpkin. This week I made egg fried rice and had my second vaccine.

    ReplyDelete