Wednesday, May 28, 2008

The Fun Side of Duke

We did find some time for fun while we were at Duke University Hospital.  We had to wait an extra day to wait for the big teen's cardiac Holter monitor to be finished recording.  Thus, we took the time to visit two museums and the homeschool store in Raleigh.  We went to the Life and Science Museum and had a blast in their renovated outdoor area.  The kids really enjoyed the Butterfly House.  The big teen, my naturalist, found an injured one and let all the kids hold him.











The kids also loved the new water area.  They had a play water table for little people to build boats and then sail them.  For the bigger kids, they had remote control sail boats to sail around.  My kiddos could have spent hours in this section alone.







We also went to the Marble Kids Museum in Raleigh.  It was so much fun and the kids were able to see their first IMAX film ~ Bugs 3D.  After the movie, we played for about an hour before leaving for the 4 hour drive home.  The kids enjoyed the building area and the pirate boat area the most.  My camera battery died, so I did not get a picture of the three level pirate boat.











My favorite part of the week was the Homeschool Gathering Place.  This is a used and new bookstore that has lots of supplies.  I was able to get the program for our big teen's course in government, Teaching Textbooks Algebra I (big teen), and The Story of the World book and workbook for the little ones' world history studies.  Hurray!  I have everything for next year, except chemistry supplies for the big teen.


Blessings, Dawn


9 comments:

  1. Looks fun; good you had help along too.


    Thanks for your kind comments on my blog, but it has nothing to do with my parenting LOL. I think I need to blog more about the fighting that goes on LOL...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, the butterfly conservatory looks beautiful! Glad you were able to enjoy some of the blessings of the area while you were there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and seems like it has a lot to offer. I'll have to talk my husband into making a trip there. Thanks for posting the address to the book store. If I ever do get up to Raleigh that will sure be a stop I'll make.

    Love the huge LEGOs and the cool sailboats. Your kids look like they enjoyed themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad that you all got to have some fun while you were there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whew! I am all caught up on you. I should come by every day to keep up. I'll work on that.


    It sounds like you've had a lot going on with Duke and the pacemaker. I hope everything works out well in the end.


    Those mueseums look incredible. The RMH is a blessing. I'm glad y'all were able to stay there. We've had friends that have had to stay there, too.


    Have a fun school break. You have wonderful plans, as always. I'll be back by soon.......


    tracy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! You are a ture homeschooler, turning every opportunity into a field trip and learning experience. LOL....great pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope everything went well with your son's appointment.


    That looked like a REAL FUN trip ! I could see why they could spend hours there. [0=


    It also sounds like you are going to have a fun school year.


    I have to get myself really organized for this year.


    Blessings and ((HUGS)) my SSiC

    In Him <><

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the butterfly bench! Our Teaching Textbooks just arrived! Fun that you got to go to that store!

    Blessings,

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks like such a fun place!

    ReplyDelete