Thursday, February 19, 2009

Friday Show and Tell ~ Homeschooling the FASD Child

This week I was able to see a really great documentary on FASD. Since our adopted dd was recently diagnosed with Fetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder, we have been trying to catch up and learn how to help her. This documentary really was informative for us. If you know any woman of childbearing age who drinks any amount of alcohol, please go see this movie. When you consider that 50% of pregnancies are unplanned and 50% of women in childbearing age drink, this is a serious issue. I would not wish this on any family or child, and it is so preventable. My dd struggles every day with the basics -- all because her birth mother drank while she was pregnant. It is a very sad tragedy.

I was thinking about this and how I homeschool my little girl. We try hard to keep things fun and new to help her constantly wandering attention stay with us. However, she cannot learn a thing if there is a shred of chaos going on. Just having three other kids at the same table can be way too much for her most of the time. Everything must be repeated literally hundreds of times, and then she may remember it 60% of the time. She gives up easily, forgets over and over again, and if pushed too far will melt down. So how does one teach this child? I am still trying to figure this out. However, this is some of what I know.




She learns best with lots of games, especially if they let her move around. She loves reading lessons to consist of reading games and index cards of spelling words all over the room that she can crawl along while sounding out the words.


Art is very important to Goldilocks, the messier, the better! She loves to receive sensory input this way.




Life skills are just as important as reading lessons. She really enjoys cleaning, and it gives her self-confidence to do a job well done every day. 


Table time (especially group time) must be done in short time periods to maximize on her ability to focus on me and what I'm talking about. Here they are reviewing really cool safety cards that show a picture of something dangerous (example ~ a kid chasing a ball into the street), and they have to tell you what is wrong and what they should do instead.

Of course, it is so important to focus on relationships all the time. This is a huge challenge for Goldilocks. Interacting peacefully with her siblings takes a tremendous amount of work. She very much looks forward to alone time (one hour every day in her room), when she does not need to interact with anyone. 

Every FASD child is different, but this is what I have figured out so far.

Blessings, Dawn

11 comments:

  1. This is excellent, Dawn! We don't have an FASD diagnosis here, but I suspect it with at least one of my children. I'm looking forward to finding a little block of time when I can sit down and watch the documentary. Your ideas are good, and I'd love to share the information with friends from our adoption group who are struggling with FASD.


    Hope you have a good weekend!


    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous! Your kids are so very blessed to have such a wonderful mom! ( and dad too!) My mom was an alcoholic as was my dad. I all too well know the effects of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a AMAZING mom. I will lift you up in my daily prayers. I had a friend that her mom adopted her twin brother and sister and both had FASD. I also have another blog friend, AcceptanceWithJoy. Do you know her blog ? Her teen daughter has FASD and blogs about it. She is a good person to connect with. Keep up the GREAT work you are doing. May God bless you with lots of patience and grace to do the calling he has called you to. ((HUGS))


    Blessings and ((HUGS)) my SSiC

    In Him<><

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great mother you are! I love the way you always come up with great ideas to help your kids.

    Pam

    http://momsmutterings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a challenge you have, but at least she's being homeschooled. She wouldn't do so well in a classroom if she is so easily distracted.

    Blessings on you for adopting her into your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing!!


    Have a wonderful weekend,

    ~Mrs.Cuddles

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is so sad that there isn't more said about the effects of alcohol on wee ones. I bet most young women have no clue.


    You are doing a great job with Goldilocks. She is lucky to have you as her mom and teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dawn, my heart goes out to you. I know what it is like to raise a child with FASD. I've been raising my now 17 yo sister since she was 8yo. We just had her diagnosed with ARND (alcohol related neurological disorder) last year. I tell you it has been a very bumpy 9 years. I wish I had known before even though I suspected it. Make sure you find a lot of support for yourself so you don't get burned out! You are doing a great job...keep it up. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm so glad that the Heads Up! review was helpful to you. I actually thought of you when I was writing it. I have been very interested in the results of your elimination diet experiment. I've sometimes wondered if that might be helpful with some of the allergy (sinus type) and bed wetting issues in our house but I'm too scared to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh where Oh where could my dear friend be, the one who is from the North, Oh where Oh where could my dear friend be the one who eats cake for breakfest, Oh where Oh where OKOK, I know off at an appointment and can not call me BOO HOO!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dawn,


    Sounds like your heading in the right direction with her. You've identified how she learns and are making adjustments to help her out. That's wonderful-and far better than she would get in public schools!!

    Thanks for stopping by and for your well wishes during our travels. We'll try to keep everyone posted on what's going on.

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete