Presidents Day ~ We had so much fun with our annual Presidents Day scavenger hunt. We hid the first 25 presidents, which brought us to the turn of the 20th century (right where we are in studying American history). This year we did activities or listened to a story at many of the stops in our scavenger hunt. This helped tame the wild running and screaming we have experienced in past years. For example, they built a log cabin for Abraham Lincoln and listened to the Declaration of Independence for Thomas Jefferson.
Books We Read or Listened to This Week ~
- U.S. Presidents The Oval Office All Stars
- Life of Fred Cats
- The New Social Story Book
- A Picture Book of Thomas Jefferson
- Abe Lincoln The Boy Who Loved Books
- Andrew Jackson
- Dolly Madison Saves George Washington
- Mr. Lincoln's Boys
- Garfield books
- Two Minute Mysteries
- Casey at Bat Maestro Classics
- The Way Things Work (great physics game)
- Guess Who
- Apples to Apples
- London Hospital (found this one on Prime Amazon and I love it ~ the kids are a bit grossed out by it, though)
- Hotel Transylvania (just the kids)
- The Walton's a few shows from Season 5
- Downton Abbey (Can you believe they killed off Mathew? I'm way more devastated about that then I should be, since it is a TV show.)
All The Rest ~ The kids start extra rehearsals this weekend!! They will be performing in Swan Lake before we know it. In addition, the aerial arts class that my daughters are in will be holding its own show. Each of the girls will be doing their own solo. They are very excited and busy picking their songs. Unfortunately, there is some trouble brewing with another classmate. A boy in the studio is bullying my son. So far, I haven't caught him red handed, but my eyes are on him and he knows it. The studio is aware of it, too, and seems to be on our side. If you have a child on the autism spectrum or with social awkwardness, I highly suggest the book New Social Story Book. This book is helping my son so much. We are working our way through the chapter on Bullying this week.
A Picture To Share ~ My kids love the balloon artist at our local health food supermarket. He is always there for the Kids Eat Free night. He accepts only donations for his art, and the kids are even adding some of their own coins in each week.