Goldilocks ~ Goldilocks had a busy week. I am really seeing an improvement in her quality of work now that she has a quiet place to work. Here is what she did:
- Listened to The Horse and His Boy.
- Completed 35 pages in math, spelling and reading from Flash Kids Complete Curriculum 3rd Grade
- Read the chapter book, Orv and Will
- Did two book reports
- Kept up with her math from tutoring
- Worked at xtramath.org
- Did art projects at the Arts for Life table at the hospital
- Went to gymnastics class
- Attended our field trip on architecture
- Watched 1900 House every day with her siblings
- Visited the library
- Watched The Red Balloon and wrote a short report about the balloon's feelings
- Worked in her copy work book
Tom Sawyer and Little Red Riding Hood ~ These two are doing so well with learning this year. Here is a list of their activities:
- Played a 3 hour Monopoly game
- Started the unit study on Thomas Edison Young Inventor from Beyond Five in a Row 5 chapters
- Watched CNN Student News
- Started watching the videos of the periodic table from Nottingham University
- Did Lesson 2 of Squilt
- Baked a cake from scratch
- Attended gymnastics class
- Worked at Teaching Textbooks 3 times
- Worked at xtramath.org 3 times
- Read Life of Fred Farming 2 chapters
- Played a homemade memory game of the branches of science
- Went to the library
- Did writing prompts 3 times
- Studied two buildings in our architecture lessons
- Filled in our coloring book for the two buildings
- Ate hot dogs (circa 1916) at a real Woolworth soda fountain
- Did two lessons of All About Spelling level 2
- Packed eggs and dropped them from 15+ feet to see if they would break
- Did lots and lots of Mad Libs
- Made crab apple butter and crab apple sauce
The eggs did not break! They were packed extremely well!
These crab apples are tiny!
Making applesauce the old fashioned way.
Our Favorite Thing this Week
We really had a fun field trip this week. We took our city coloring books and went downtown to look at an Art Deco building and a Spanish Baroque building. We studied the buildings and then colored in the corresponding pictures. The kids also enjoyed the cool, calm Catholic Basilica. They lit candles and spent a few minutes praying. Our town is filled with street performers during the summer and weekends year round, so we watched them for awhile. We also had lunch at our local Woolworth Soda Fountain that is preserved to the way it would have looked in the 1940's. Everyone (except Tom Sawyer) had hot dogs (circa 1916). Tom Sawyer had the cheddar broccoli soup which was the only safe thing for him on the menu. I love hands-on learning and so do two of my kiddos.
|One of the best examples of Art Deco in North Carolina|