Wrapping Up ~ I don't have much in the way of pictures this week. It was kind of boring in the realm of pictures. Our minds were set on completing things and finding good stopping points in all subjects. I got a few pictures here and there.
|Dean always loves it when I pull out clay.|
- They completed their history studies of the Middle Ages. We are ready to start the new year with Columbus.
- They completed book 4 of Draw Write Now.
- They completed Zoology for Kids.
- They completed several placement tests for different math programs. Yes, we are back to the drawing board in math due to struggles over fractions and the discovery that the kids can do math problems but struggle with applying it to the real world (word problems, etc.) They scored 99% on their end-of-year testing last year, but their math skills just aren't as concrete as I would like to see them. I think those standardized tests are deceiving. I really like the math programs we have been using up until now, but I think we need a break from the spiral approach to math.
- They attended dance, tumbling, guitar, sign language and writing classes out of the home.
- They read books and started our final Middle Ages book, Adam of the Road.
- They started exploring our crystal science kit.
- They watched CNN Student News daily.
- They did another spelling lesson and test.
- Dean has started making animation on the computer. He found a free program and it animates his drawings. I love to see him motivated to try new things.
|Clay creations made when we were studying zoology|
|We started growing crystals. We have a few more to start. They should be really cool in a few days.|
Lastly, Anne completed her six weeks of tumbling class today. She wants to continue in the spring, if not sooner. We are just too busy right now to start more classes immediately, plus need every extra penny for Christmas. I am pleased to see the progress she made in a safe environment (instead of working out on the hard grass), and we will be looking into how to help her do more of this kind of class after the holidays.