Sunday, April 16, 2017

Spring Break


This week was a combination of field trips and a working vacation for me. I really had loads to do. I wish I could say the "to do list" was complete, but it isn't nearly done. I did get lots accomplished, but I was just terribly behind in paperwork, "business" phone calls, filing medical papers and all the little pieces of life that get brushed aside when there are more pressing things to do. It takes a great deal of time and energy to run a special needs family. I have already decided to take Monday off to get a bit more done. Thank goodness for the flexibility of homeschooling.

We also had lots of fun this week. We went to two movies ~ Beauty and the Beast and The Zookeeper's Wife. They were both excellent, but The Zookeeper's wife is a hard movie to get through. I suggest consulting Common Sense Media before going to determine if your children are ready for it. I am glad my kids saw it, but there were lots of difficult parts to experience.

We also went on a history tour of Biltmore Industries and learned about this very small, but famous fabric company that was in operation from 1901 to the 1980s.
Image may contain: 2 people, people standing, shoes and indoor

We also investigated an antique car museum.
Image may contain: car

The kids enjoyed having a snack at the Grove Park Inn. Dean selected a "dangerously sour candy" and then had a hard time keeping a straight face while trying to eat the pieces. lol

Image may contain: 1 person

Our really big adventure this week was to visit Gatlinburg. This was our first time since the wildfire at the end of last November that took 14 lives and destroyed more than 2,000 structures. 



We also went to the Ripley's Believe or Not, played miniature golf and went through the Ripley's Marvelous Mirror Maze. We very much enjoyed everything. Well, I did think the Mirror Maze was a bit scary...lol! Looking at the pictures below amazes me. When did my kids get so big and grown up?! They are all taller than my husband now!



Image may contain: 5 people, people smiling, people standing

Image may contain: 1 person

Image may contain: one or more people and people standing
Image may contain: 2 people, people standing
I hope everyone has a wonderful Easter.

Blessings, Dawn

5 comments:

  1. Love the photos! I know what you mean about the kids getting big. Quentin is the only one left that is shorter than my husband and I and I see a growth spurt coming on in his near future. Special needs homeschooling does take more energy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like both a productive and fun week. It's so sad to see those Gatlinburg photos... I went there on vacation as a child and have such fond memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful trips, although pictures of the devastation from the fire are so sad. I'm always so sad to see how much the areas are suffering. I enjoyed spring break too but it didnt seem to alleviate my to do list too much. I made a new one last weekend and did not get a single thing done this week as we were so busy. sigh, I guess there's always next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful week. I have seen a lot of the photos on facebook and they looked wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to visit Gatlinburg as a high schooler--it was a ski trip (something I never learned to do!) I wonder what happened to those boys. Anyway, good that you had a great week!

    ReplyDelete