Friday, January 6, 2023

NYC Day 2 ~ Shopping and The Rockettes

On the morning of Day 2, we awoke and got ready for our major walking day. Rebekah and I walked more than 9 miles this day. The guys walked a little bit less because they bailed out of some of the shopping  half-way through the day and took an Uber back to the hotel. My Mom skipped the shopping day to go to the MOMA (Museum of Modern Art), which she had wanted to see since I was a baby. 

The rest of us headed out to the Harry Potter store. This just opened in June and there were lines to get into the store. However, the line wasn't very long and the employees managed the line well so that the store wasn't too crowded to move around. We loved exploring all the merchandise, taking lots of selfies and finishing off with a butterbeer in the little cafe. Butterbeer is so sweet. It tastes like root beer with a butterscotch marshmallow whip cream on top. We got to keep the cups as souvenirs. We also made a few small purchases in accordance with our assigned Hogwarts house (as determined by online quizzes we have taken in the past, such as a Ravenclaw pen for me and a Hufflepuff scarf for my husband. The boys always come out Gryffindor on the Hogwarts quizzes and I always come out Ravenclaw. Rebekah comes out Slytherin (which always cracks us up because she is so nice...but she is extremely ambitious) and my husband always comes out Hufflepuff. 







Rebekah also bought a wand from Fantastic Beasts, because it was her favorite. 

We then moved on to a Warhammer store, which was supposed to be open but unfortunately was not. Such is the reality of very small businesses sometimes. The boys weren't terribly disappointed because when they peered in the window, they saw that the shop was so small that they could buy the same things at home from one of our game stores. We had lunch in a small coffee shop and walked on to the Yumiko (dance leotards) store, passing Macy's and their amazing window displays along the way.  At this point, the guys were exhausted and getting distressed, so David, Tim and Elijah took an Uber back to the hotel. 
Shopping for a leotard at the Yumiko store was Rebekah's main Christmas gift. This brand is very popular with dancers because it is extremely comfortable and also durable. We ended up getting more than one, because she bought one of her own. They had some great sales going on so I bought two. My favorite one is the one below. 

Rebekah and I started back to the hotel via the Lush store. If you have been around my blog long, you know that we always stop at a Lush cosmetics store if there is one where we are vacationing. All their bath bombs and bath melts were 50% off. We had a delightful time picking out the treasures shown below. Rebekah and I break off pieces to make these last for many baths. 

Along our walk back to the hotel we passed the Main Public Library with it's famous lions out front. The architecture inside and out was amazing. We walked through it for just a few minutes and then stood in a long line to get out of the library. There were long lines everywhere in NYC. 
Main Public Library

The line to get out of the library!

The grandeur of the past. This is a working water fountain in the library.

Grand Central Train station

Once we were back to the hotel, we went out for dinner with the whole family; and then Rebekah, Grandma, Tim and I went off to see the Rockettes Christmas Spectacular. David and Elijah returned to the hotel for a sleepy and calm evening in front of cable tv. The Rockettes put on a stunning show! It truly was spectacular from beginning to end. 

That completed our Day Two.  Day One can be viewed here.

Blessings, Dawn

3 comments:

  1. What a great 2nd day! The leotard color is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whooo! I'm not telling my kids about the Harry Potter store! But what joy it will be someday if they ever get to go there!

    I'm reading between the lines about distressed young men, and I can imagine the challenges. What a blessing to have the option of taking an Uber home and just resting quietly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Harry Potter store looks so fun! My middle son is always Ravenclaw as well and my youngest is definitely a Hufflepuff. I'm pretty sure I'd be a Ravenclaw as well though I've never taken the quiz myself (but my middle son and I are a lot alike). I heard that from so many bloggers and friends that NYC seemed extra crowded with lines EVERYWHERE this year. I've seen the Rockette's xmas spectacular before and just loved the show. It sounds like you had a great day!

    ReplyDelete