Tuesday, August 6, 2024

Sarasota Florida - The Ringling Part III

 The Sarasota Ballet, where Rebekah was dancing, was right next door to The Ringling. I decided to buy the annual pass after looking at it online and seeing how much there was to do at the Ringling complex. I figured I was in Sarasota for two weeks (one week on my own during the day) and I didn't want to sit in a hotel room, but also didn't want to use lots of money shopping or on entertainment. The annual pass seemed like the perfect solution. It allowed me to go in as many times as I wished and see the art museum, two circus museums, the Ringling winter family home, walk the 20 acres of gardens and have access to a restaurant and a cafe with a discount on food. I was right. I went every day I was alone and twice with family. I became a regular that the check in staff recognized after a few days.  I never got bored either. I very much enjoyed my morning walk through the gardens visiting all of the wild life. There were hundreds of lizards and dozens of birds each morning. Then I would go through one of the museums. I visited the art museum several times. Then I would have a late  homemade lunch with a purchased ice tea from the cafe and sit and read my book for an hour or two until it was time to pick up Rebekah. It was a perfect solution to combat the heat and really take in the scenery. 

John and Mable's winter home ~ Ca' D' Zan


Art installation overlooking the bay.


Doesn't this pool look enticing. 

Banyan Tree

The roots on the Banyan tree are amazing. 


I sent a picture of this gazebo to my husband and told him I wanted one, LOL. I don't think one is forthcoming. 
The Ca' D ' Zan kitchen had two large Stoves.

I've noticed in famous vintage homes that the ceilings tend to be my favorite thing about them. The Ringling home did not disappoint. The following two pictures are of the ballroom ceiling which has the history of dancing painted on it. 


The art museum was stunning. There are 21 original galleries that opened in 1930 and several new galleries that hold modern and Asian art. One of the most amazing things about this museum is the five Rubens. They are 12 feet by 17 feet. They are colossal. Ruben only made 11 colossal paintings. The Ringling has five of them, the Louvre has two and the remaining four are thought to have been destroyed in a palace fire.  My pictures do not do them justice. They are stunning. 

One of the truly remarkable things about the Ringling museum is that it was always intended to be for the common man. John Ringling insisted that it always be free in his lifetime and he left in his will that it remain free for at least one day a week and it still is to this day. He did charge a large parking fee during his lifetime because he said if a person could afford a car during the Great Depression, they could afford to pay for parking to help the museum grow. 


I loved this atrium in the art museum. It was open to the sky which provided a constantly changing picture.

Life size replica of David in bronze.



Portrait by Velazquez
The above portrait by Velazquez is regarded as the most valuable painting in the museum by some experts. It is a painting that was transformed several times by Velazquez himself as Philip IV wanted to portray himself differently throughout his reign. If you look very closely at the knee in person, you can also see that Velazquez "signed" the work with a self portrait of himself. Court artists were not allowed to sign their works during that period. 

The other two museums at the Ringling are devoted to the circus. One holds many artifacts from the Ringling Circus including John Ringling's personal rail car. The other museum holds The Howard Brothers Circus Model. This is an impressive model that Howard Tibbals started building in 1965 and added to until April of 2021. It is 3,800 square feet and tells the story of the circus coming to town from pulling into the station, construction of the tents to the full show and breakdown late at night. It is truly a sight to see. 

looking down on one small part of it from the second story. 

The details are remarkable. 


The animal tent that the public could visit before the show. John Ringling felt this tent was about education since it was often the first time for people to see exotic animals such as lions and elephants. 


My own little circus girl in a clown car. 
I really enjoyed my time at the Ringling. It was well worth the money for the annual pass. It was a lovely way to pass the time and truly immerse myself in a world I knew very little about. 

Blessings, Dawn

1 comment:

  1. That is an amazing place! I've never heard of it before, and now I want to go there!!

    ReplyDelete