Sunday, May 25, 2008

RMH, Our Big Teen's Appointment and the 1,000th Comment

As you can tell from the title, this will be a bit of a ramble.  We are back from Duke University Hospital.  It sure is nice to be home.  Our big teen's cardiac appointment did not go as well as usual.  We knew going in that something was not quite right.  He has been having the feeling that his pacemaker was shocking him and having strange feelings in his chest for a few months.  The doctor did several tests via the phone with a pacemaker transmission machine and sent us to the local cardiologist (who is not all that awesome) but could see nothing dangerous or obviously wrong.  Well, at the appointment he saw a variety of things that were not quite right.  Blessedly, he was able to fix the majority of the shocking feeling since that was a glitch in the pacemaker lead, so our big teen will be more comfortable now.  However, he saw a few other things that worried him, and it is going to take some time to figure out what it is.  Worst case scenario ~ he would not explain to us because he thinks that is very unlikely.  The other possible issues should show themselves now that the pacemaker has been adjusted.  Hopefully, we will have some answers in the coming weeks.  There is no doubt that our teen will have to return to Duke in 6 months, if not sooner.  Even though things are unsure right now, I really do feel at peace.  The journey that we have been on for 18 years with my son has been filled with alarming obstacles, and each time God has moved them out of the way.  I feel secure that Timothy will get the best care and all shall be well.  Our son has been living on borrowed time since he was a newborn, and we are so blessed for each precious day with him.


On a brighter topic ~ I wanted to sing the praises for Ronald McDonald house (RMH) again.  What a wonderful place this is for families far from their home trying to take care of their sick children.  If you have never been to RMH, it is basically a house with many family bedrooms.  There is a central kitchen, living room, playroom, dining room, and teen room for everyone to share.  Most people have to share bathrooms, but those who are there for long stays (months) often get a room with a bathroom.  The staff are always so kind and helpful. They are all about the families and the children's comfort.  They provide dinner each night and the cost is only $10 a night for the entire family.  This price has not changed in the ten years we have been staying there.  Our children were given two small handmade quilts that are just adorable on this particular visit.  I believe this was our 15th or 16th stay at RMH, and as always, it was a wonderful experience.  Here are a few pics from RMH-Durham.  The first photo shows our big teen playing video games in the teen room, followed by photos of Little Red Ridinghood having a blast in the playroom, and the final photo is of me playing guard outside our bedroom door.  Once the beds were all folded out, there was no room for me to sit inside the room until everyone was asleep, when I could then crawl over their beds.  LOL!














Okay!  If you hung in this long and are the 1,000th comment, then you are the lucky winner of a "Friends of the RMH" bracelet!  I will contact you, so I can get your address and send it to you.


Blessings, Dawn

10 comments:

  1. but it sounds like you have complete trust in God and know his peace in this situation. I will be praying hard that He will continue to work in your son's life and use this for His glory.

    Look like the RMH is a nice place to stay. How wonderful that there is a place to help families when the need it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have stayed in a ronald mcdonald house. The people were so friendly and it was nice for the kids to have something to do rather than just sit in a hotel room. The food was awesome also. I am glad you had a good experience also. Praying they figure out what is wrong with your son soon and it is easily fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't realize that your son has cardiac issues. I'll be praying. I'm glad they fixed the one problem; feeling like he was being shocked just couldn't have been any fun!


    We've never been to a RMH, but I've heard such wonderful things about them. Judging by your pictures, my kids would have a blast there and probably wouldn't want to leave! :)


    I'm glad to hear that you have peace about this. I hope you're enjoying your weekend!


    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read mixed reviews before about other RMH's, so I'm glad to hear that your experience was a good one!!! We will be keeping your family and big teen on our prayer list :)


    ~Laura

    ReplyDelete
  5. We are praying for your son's health!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My prayers are with you and your family as you travel this very scary road. I'm praying that they find and fix the problems so your son can get back to fun.


    I'm inspired by your strength and faith!


    (((hugs)))


    Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  7. SandBetweenMyToesMay 27, 2008 at 1:49 PM

    Praying that any other problems will be minor, easily solved, and will show themselves quickly. My 18 year old has had some minor (in comparison) cardiac issues, and those were scary enough for me. I also pray for the Lord to continue to strengthen you as you deal with these issues. I am so glad they were able to fix the shocking. What a horrible feeling that must have been for him.

    It's great to hear first hand about the RMH, and how great it is. Hope you have an uneventful week!

    Letitia

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am sorry to hear your son is dealing with more health problems, I know how the stress can be. I will keep you and your kids in my prayers.

    mom2many

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad that you are surrounded by God's peace as you seek answers.

    We have stayed in Ronald McDonald houses, too, and appreciate what they offer! Glad your experiences were good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad to hear they were able to help your son; what a testimony to God's grace in your lives. Praise Him for providing RMH too, as I'm sure it's helping so many.

    ReplyDelete