Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Tightwad Tuesday ~ Apple Butter



Canadagirl hosts Tightwad Tuesday.  To get some great ideas on saving money, hurry on over to her blog.

This week I got  two bushels of apples for $28 from the farmers' market.  So far, I have made five pies, an apple crisp and apple butter.  There are tons of apples left for apple sauce, eating, pies, cakes and apple pancakes.  Hmm!  Just imagine all the things I can make!  The below picture is my crock pot apple butter.  It only needs a few more hours of simmering.





Apple Butter -- Fill the crock pot to the top with apples.  Cook overnight.  Add 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon cloves, and 1 1/2 cups sugar.  Cook for 10 more hours.

I also needed some containers to hold all the mittens and hats.  I had the kids paint two boxes with tempera paint.  The paint makes the boxes stronger and prettier.  They will last the season and only cost me pennies.  Also, they are much friendlier on the environment.

Lastly, this photo has nothing to do with being a tightwad.  The weather man says we are in for a hard winter here in NC.  Maybe he is right.  It is snowing in October!!  I haven't seen this in the 10 years I have lived in NC.



Blessings, Dawn

10 comments:

  1. Wow it's snowing ? We haven't got any down here yet. I see it in the mountains. [0=


    Yummy all those goodies at your house is making my tummy rumble !!


    The thing I have found with a crockpot vs the stove is it WONT burn. That alone is a savings !! And makes it easy so I will do it again, lol. I use to hate making apple butter until I made it in a crock pot. Now I love making apple butter. [0= Crockpots do save lots of money. I am now saving up money for a electic skillet. There are things you can make in it and it is so much cheaper than using the oven. So between a crockpot and electric skillet cooking will be so much cheaper. [0=


    Thank you for joining this week !!! (((((((HUGS)))))))


    Blessings and ((HUGS)) my SSiC

    In Him<><

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi- I'm visiting a few other home school moms today and I truly enjoyed visiting you today!

    I love apple butter but never have made it...and wow, what a great picture of your October snowfall!


    I am hosting my first ever Home School Open House this week, starting today...if you would like to participate, simple post about what you are have recently been doing in home school and sign my Mr. Linky...

    Hope you can stop by- and better yet, join in!


    Blessings,

    ~Tammy (Lattes and Lollipops)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to hear about your apples and all those recipes are yummy. I love the colour of your crockpot pot. That green is so pretty! I make granola in my crockpot. It has saved me in so many ways.


    Snow huh? My children have never seen it...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We love apple butter (and pumpkin butter!) :)

    I thought you might like this awesome new movie! It is called Come What May! It supports the fight for life, inspires the Godly marriage and encourages purity. You can even veiw it free today and tomorrow yet! It is so worth the time. I am trying to get the word out before everyone goes to vote, too!

    It was made by over 40 homeschoolers! Way to go homeschoolers! A+

    Check out my post here:

    http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/SchoolinRhome/611224/

    Please leave me a comment if you were inspired and plan to pass it on to others. I'd love to hear that!

    In Christ's love,

    SchoolinRHome

    ReplyDelete
  5. I heard from my in-laws (in Marion) about that snow! Wow!


    Thanks for the recipe. I always had wondered if there was apple in apple butter...now I know!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Too funny!! I gues great minds think a like!! Have a great evening!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, head over to ByHisGraceInColorado.

    She is having a contest, and the prize is one of my books!!!


    Candy

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks yummy... we had the snow too; I'm not a snow fan though so it kind of bugged me, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!!


    Snow!! And in October!! I lived in VA (close to NC) and it rarely snowed. One year we had six inches and it was packing snow-we loved it!!


    Love the apple butter recipe. I'll have to try it when I get back to the states. I don't have any decent apples to try that with here. Only a few more months!!


    Michelle in Japan

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's already snowing in NC?!?! I knew it was snowing in the Mts as I get the Cataloochee snow report but off the Mts? Yikes!!


    We need to hurry up and get to North Georgia and make sure the heat gets turned on before the pipes get frozen! Now I'm feeling the pressure.....


    P.S. Your children are adorable!

    ReplyDelete