Tuesday, November 4, 2008

A Historic Day

These are amazing times that we are living in.  No matter how you voted yesterday, today is a day to be remembered.  Yesterday the American people spoke and, by a sweeping majority, moved the first African-American into the White House.  So, putting politics aside, this is a historic day.  It is a day that I hope shows that the color lines in this country are being broken down.  That we are all Americans moving forward, together.  I hope that this country can put its differences aside and work together to be the great nation we are meant to be.  I have seen so much fear, hate, and anger spread around in the past few months.  It has saddened me to see our country seeming to shatter and struggle with basic respect for different viewpoints.  Is this not the backbone that the United States of America is built on?  So, today I celebrate history being made, and  I pray for the unity of my nation and rebirth of love and kindness between each other. 



I thought of these quotes....


"If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other..." Mother Teresea

"Do unto others as you would have them do unto you..." Jesus
 


"God governs in the affairs of man. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without his notice, is it probable that an empire can rise without His aid? We have been assured in the Sacred Writings that except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it. I firmly believe this. I also believe that, without His concurring aid, we shall succeed in this political building no better than the builders of Babel” –Constitutional Convention of 1787 | original manuscript of this speech Benjamin Franklin

This poem came to my mind this morning....





I, Too, Sing America  
by Langston Hughes


I, too, sing America.

I am the darker brother.

They send me to eat in the kitchen 

When company comes, 

But I laugh, And eat well, And grow strong.  

Tomorrow, I'll be at the table When company comes. 

Nobody'll dare Say to me, "Eat in the kitchen," Then.  

Besides,  They'll see how beautiful I am 

And be ashamed--  I, too, am America.


Blessings, Dawn


8 comments:

  1. I am mighty proud I raised you, daughter. You are the light in my life and the love in my heart. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is wonderful, and I'm so glad you thought to share Langston Hughes with your readers. His words really capture the moment. Yours and mine are rare stances here, and I've appreciated your willingness to share. God bless you, Dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful ideas here! I agree with you. Although the election may not have been as many of us wanted/voted, it is over. And we as Americans must support our new president. God will use him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. very well spoken and I celebrate with you. Love the poem.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know, for some reason, I kept myself from thinking of him as black during the campaign. It seemed to be too categorizing I guess. Then Tuesday night as I was watching him on stage and seeing especially the blacks in the audience with tears streaming down their faces, I realized. We just elected a black president. I was kind of proud of us. I went to high school in Montgomery Alabama and had some wonderful friends and associations in the black community there. But I never thought we would do this in my lifetime.


    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the quotes!


    Yes, this has certainly been a Historic Election.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What beautiful words. Thank you for writing them.

    ~Kari

    www.thoughtspreserved.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unfortunately they voted on color instead of character. I'd celebrate if he wasn't into baby killing

    & other anti-God agendas... :-((

    ReplyDelete