Thursday, November 13, 2008

Show and Tell Friday ~ Our week

A week mostly at home with our normal schedule has done me so much good.  We had a nice homeschooling week with the 3 R's covered, and we got to another chapter of SOTW.  This week we concentrated on Ancient Africa and stories about Anansi the Spider.  We read several stories about Anansi and made spiders and ate yams in different ways.  Sorry, no pictures of all that activity.


The big teen is really getting into chemistry.  Thanks to another blogger (sorry, I don't remember who you are), we found this site www.periodicviews.com/#.  It goes through all the elements of the Periodic Table in video form.  Some of the videos are very explosive!  So if you are studying chemistry, go check this www.periodicvideos.com/#.


Lastly, we made our Operation Christmas Child Shoe Boxes this week.  They are due next week for collection.  If you are interested in doing this activity, you still have time.  I think this is the kids' favorite Christmas charity.  We decided that this year all of our charities will be hands-on so the kids can really be involved.  We are hoping to do a hands-on charity each week of December.  I will list our schedule later.  We started collecting our loot for the boxes in August with the back to school sales and finished up at the dollar store this week.  We ended up with 5 boxes this year.  The kids included little notes in each box.









Yeah! There were no tears this year about saying goodbye to something that one of them wanted.  I am happy to see their hearts growing in charity.  It is so much more of a blessing to give than to receive.  I really want them to get that concept as early as possible.


To see more great Show and Tells, go see Canadagirl.


Blessings, Dawn

10 comments:

  1. I love the way you have made the shoe boxes look so pretty on the outside! We have done these in the past and really enjoyed the process. It is a blast to see just how many items you can get in the box! What a blessing for the children who will receive these!

    This year we are very involved in our homeless ministry so we are not doing the shoe boxes. Instead we collect personal items ( soap, shampoo ect) and fill gallon size zip locks with them. These are passed out with socks, hat, gloves, a blanket, snacks, and if we have it a warm coat or sweatshirt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those look like wonderful filled boxes !! I like the idea of collecting slowly. I will for sure do that next year. I always find it a struggle to do it last minute. duhhh. [0= I am learing to plan ahead and this is one more I need to do that in. Thank you for posting this. That is so wise.


    It sounds like you all are having so much fun in your hs this year. I will have to for sure check out your links. My oldest two will for sure love that.


    Blessings and ((HUGS)) my SSiC

    In Him<><

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the shoebox ministry. We usually do this. I am not sure about this year with money being so tight. You all did a fantastic job.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful way to shower other children with your blessings.

    Mama Karen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello. Our family did shoeboxes one year too. It was really fun.

    Bleesings

    Miss Emily

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a blessing you all are to some children in need. That is cool that you started saving back in Aug. That way you don't have to buy it all at once.

    Have a great weekend.

    Dot

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your shoe boxes look really neat. It's such a good idea.

    Thank you for the periodical table link. Were not in chemistry, but I have an obsession with it anyways! I'm always buying books, posters, flashcards, and placemats on it.

    Antoinette

    ReplyDelete
  8. isn't it wonderful to see our children's hearts grow and mature in charity.

    Thanks so much for the heads-up on the Chem site. Looks awesome and I have bookmarked it to use with my son.

    Have a wonderful week end.

    Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your are growing such blossoms in your garden! I am glad to hear there were no tears. What a blessing!


    Because of Jesus, Bobbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Once again, you have enriched our homeschool.


    We are studying chemistry this year and the boys are going to love that site.


    Good job on the boxes. I wish I would have thought about those back in August, too.

    ReplyDelete