Thursday, December 4, 2008

Friday Show and Tell ~ Our Tree and the First Week of Advent

It is time for another Show and Tell Friday with Canadagirl.

We picked out, bought and put up our tree last weekend.  I love the smell of a fresh cut tree.  A few years ago when I was brave enough to put ornaments back on the tree (those toddlers sure are dangerous on ornaments, huh?), I decided that I would like a semi-themed tree.  So we decided to go with "white, snowman, snowflake, and pictures of the kids".  Of course, A few heirlooms have slipped in.  Since I make a real effort to not buy from China, a lot of the ornaments are homemade.  We especially like making borax crystals.  We have made hearts, snow flakes and dangling crystals.  Today we are going to make candy cane crystal ornaments.




Here is our Baby Jesus cradle.  The kids made it, and each day my husband or I tell each child something we are pleased with them about and give them a ribbon "straw" to put into the cradle.  On Christmas morning, the ribbons will cushion our baby Jesus doll.  Then the ribbons will be counted up, traded in for money, and given to the kids' chosen out-of-town charity.



I took the tree trimmings and made a swag for the front door.  It is very simple, but I like it and it was free.




For our first week of Advent, the kids loved opening a Christmas book each night.  We did a very small activity each night to go with the books.  For instance, when we did Gingerbread Baby by Jan Brett we had gingerbread cake during the story.  Another night we gathered all of the dog's stuffed animals in the house to listen to The Dog Who Found Christmas by Linda Jennings.  The first night of Advent, we read The Biggest Snowman Ever and decorated the house with our snowman collection.  Tonight they get to open The Legend of the Candy Cane and have candy canes while Daddy reads.


Go see Mary for more great Show and Tells.


Blessings, Dawn

10 comments:

  1. Your tree is lovely. I love that variety. I am destined to have a fake tree as I am allergic to the real ones. I found this out after having real trees for many years. Have a wonderful weekend.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  2. What great ideas. I feel like Scrooge. The thought of putting up that tree daunts me! But somehow we've started a tradition to invite the grandkids over to help decorate. That's uh . . . 8 kids under the age of 9. So you can see why I'm holding out on this. And we also break tradition and have bought an artificial tree. No more going up to the Forest Service and chopping our own tree. No more going to the Farm and no more just going up to the local Christmas tree lot. Nope. The fake one works for us. LOL

    Yep, Scrooge for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing your wonderful family traditions with us! Making tree ornaments is something the litlte ones will treasure someday. Blessing, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a neat idea to make the borax ornaments. Our Christmas tree has lots of ornaments that the kids made over the years too. Those are the best kind!

    Your advent day activities are lots of fun too. Thanks for sharing your ideas. I will have to try some of them. : )

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun time for the kids. Have a great weekend.

    Dot

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your red door and your snowman collection is cute!

    I also enjoyed watching your art lesson slideshow. Do you use a curriculum for art?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the snowmen! I collect a bit of those myself.


    I enjoyed the idea of making most of the ornaments. Ours are just a collection of all types and themes from over the years. I even have the ornaments I grew up with as a little girl as nobody else wanted the Christmas stuff when mom died. I love that her Santa head that she received as a young girl is on my tree.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Pretty tree! I love handmade ornaments too. We're actually started a borax one today. I've made a lot of crocheted ornaments for our tree. If you crochet, they are pretty fast and easy. I use the bedspread weight thread for snowflakes and other ornaments.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Dawn,

    thank you for the kind comments. I love your tree as well. I am so amazed this year that Ryan and Kyley are not touching the tree. I have had to only say, look with your eyes" and they are great about not touching. My cats on the other hand are not as good! I love that clock as well! We have had it so long, it's a definite keepsake. I hope your family is well also.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pretty!!


    Have a warm and wonderful Christmas Season!


    Vicki

    ReplyDelete