We spent our 18th week of school learning about Henri Matisse. The kids loved this artist because he used several techniques ~ painting and cut outs. After we finished the 3R's each day, we did different art activities.
- We read the books, Matisse the King of Color, Weekend With Matisse, Famous Artists Matisse, and Henri Matisse Drawing With Scissors.
- We enjoyed the Matisse Art Activity Pack, which had lovely stencils to help with our cut outs.
- We watched a library video on Matisse.
- The children wrote a nine sentence paragraph on what they learned about Matisse.
- We watched this You Tube video slide show.
- We did picture studies of "The Romanian Blouse", "Icarus", and "The Horse".
- We maintained our art notebooks.
- We made story color collages on our windows. This idea was adapted by Pinterest ideas and the book Discovering Great Artists. We used tissue paper with watered down Mod Podge.
- We made several cut outs and put them up on our walls to enjoy.
- We plan to go to the Nasher Museum in the next few weeks to see a wonderful exhibit of many modern masters, including Matisse.
From notebook on artist: