Friday, July 26, 2019

Life of Fred Books

As part of my journey in minimalism, I have decided to get rid of all of our Life of Fred books in the math series. We are keeping the language art series until my daughter is done with them. However, I want to remember my feelings about them if I ever homeschol again. I wouldn't mind homeschooling future grandchildren or even taking on one special needs child at a time as a homeschool tutor/teacher two or three times a week. I have been so blessed to work in my calling for these last 21 years.
My children used these books on and off from the first book Apples to the Pre-Algebra series. We didn't consistently stick with the books year in and year out, because they were not a consistent fit for my crew. They always learned from the books and they learned so much more than just math skills. The books are chockfull of character training, interesting facts, a bit of science and history and so much more. My kids have always loved the literature approach to learning. However, they did not care for how silly (might I say even stupid naivety that Fred (the main character) shows throughout the books. My kids have always been on the serious side. Maybe they need to lighten up, but they never were that much into silly, crazy fantasy. Every time we have set the books aside, it has been because they couldn't take Fred's missteps anymore.

However, I love these books as a learning tool. The lessons are just naturally absorbed as you read along, and I have been amazed at how much knowledge they have acquired from these silly stories.

Blessings, Dawn

1 comment:

  1. One of my great homeschooling heartbreaks has been that my kids do not love Life of Fred.

    I think he's hilarious.

    And I think you are wise to remember the books as a thing of joy!

    ReplyDelete