Saturday, January 19, 2008

Snow Day!

"We do get a snow day, Mommy, right?" ~ Kids


"Of course, we get a snow day.  There is snow outside, isn't there?  I have lots of wonderful snow science and art projects ready for today!" ~ Mommy


"What?!?  We meant no school snow day." ~ Kids


"Sorry! That's for public school kids, not you poor enslaved homeschool kids." ~ Mommy


Well, we were blessed with three inches of snow the other day and the kids had a blast with their "snow school day".  First we bundled up and played outside for about an hour.  Yes, we were out there at 6:45 am.  Yawn.


For physical education, the kids went sledding, made snow angels and kinda shoveled the walk.





After a yummy breakfast of yogurt, hot chocolate, and toast with jam, it was off to science time.


We did science by collecting a cup of snow and then everyone guessed how much water would be left in the cup after the snow melted.  The big teen's guess was exactly right!  The big teen also made a snow gauge the night before, but the wind blew it away.








For art they reviewed how to mix colors and made water color pictures in the water snow table.  Even the big teen got into this one.








Moving on to geography, we studied Eskimos for a little while and then made a sugar cube and frosting igloo.  The big teen did all of the research for us and then corrected the teacher with all of her facts!  That boy is getting too smart.  Then the kids wanted to add a totem pole to the igloo.  That sounded fine with me, but the big teen pointed out that Eskimos live in Canada and that totem poles are from the Pacific Northwest of the United States!  As I said, he is getting to be a real smarty pants!  LOL  Well, I just made up a story about a Pacific Northwest family bringing a totem pole as a gift to the Eskimo family.  The kids thought that was just fine with them.





(They even included a fishing hole for the family, but I'm not sure what the arch block is for.)


I had planned on making snowman cookies for math; but at the last minute the big teen's ancient world history class decided to hold class after all, so I had to race to the other side of town.  One thing you can say for living in the South is that the snow sure does melt quickly.  The roads were clear by 1 pm.


Blessings, Dawn

16 comments:

  1. Wow! Looks like a lot of fun!! My boys always want to go out as soon as they get up if we get "new" snow. It usually wears off after the second or third snow and they do not care about going out that early anymore. :) I am glad you and the kids have a fun snow day.


    Blessings,

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  2. We got snow today! About an inch. Not quite enough to make a snowman, but almost. I loved the story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Honey, you have so much energy! I love seeing all the photos of the kids and knowing how much you are doing with them. Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so creative!! It looks like you all had lots of fun and learned a lot too. I want to come to school at your house.


    Way to go!


    Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like the kids had a blast!! I just love days that we can take the learning outside!

    Thanks for the comment, and have a great day.


    Niki

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! i'm gonna have to come back and borrow these ideas if we get snow this year.

    What a great day of fun and learning.


    Blessings,

    tracy

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks like you had an awesome snow day. We got a little bit of snow here too. My boys asked me the same question, "Can we have a snow day?". Thank you for sharing your creative ideas with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. we only got a dusting, but my daughter made mini snowmen. You have such great ideas for learning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a wonderful snow-school day! We have had snow on the ground for the past several days, but unfortunately, also have had sick kids, so no fun out in the elements for us. Maybe this week?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the poor, enslaved little homeschoolers. My son was thinking the exact think about me when I told him we were doing school when it had snowed! But I also let him out at 6:45 in the morning to play, so he was a little happier. lol.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this post. Way to make the best out of the snow. I wish it would snow here in TX. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. homeschoolingmommaof4January 21, 2008 at 4:28 PM

    Sounds like a wonderful day! It gives credit to you that big teen is so smart. You've done a great job mom! I'm marking this post for the next time we have snow. I'm stealing your ideas. LOL


    Have a blessed day!

    JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yikes! 6:45 in the snow. That hurts just thinking about it. The snow storm really wasn't funny. Our hometown in Mississippi got 3 inches; we didn't get anything!

    Letitia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, your snow day sounded soooooooooo fun. I need to take some lessons from you. I am going to do some of that tomorrow I think.


    Thank you for all your ideas !!!!


    Sending you blessings and ((hugs))

    In Him<><

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. Then I guess it's a good thing you got an early start on your snow school! =)

    Blessings,

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  16. My kids would love to come to your house for school. You are very creative and energetic. Love all of your ideas.

    ReplyDelete