Thursday, June 18, 2009

Show and Tell Friday ~ Storm Damage

Well, we had a bit of excitement around here. We have had several intense thunderstorms this week. I really love storms so took all the kids out on the back porch for the most recent one. We were all bundled up in blankets, watching the rain and then it started to hail. I thought it was getting a bit too wild and started to tell the kids it was time to go in. Right as I began to speak, the wind kicked up like crazy and stuff was flying/spinning all around us. I screamed for the children to get in and most of the children got safely inside, but Little Red Riding Hood was all tangled in blankets and umbrellas in the rocking chair. I looked out and am pretty sure I saw a tiny tornado and our Step Two Super Coaster coming our way. I yanked her through the mess, and we ran to join the others in the basement. As we sat on the floor of the basement praying for Daddy who was on his way home in the storm, the basement door flew open and water poured into the already flooding basement. While I was trying to close the door against the wind, the power went out. Yikes! When the weather died down, we emerged to find Daddy just coming home safe and sound. He had been in traffic, sitting next to a transformer when it exploded, so he knew the electricity would be out when he got home. The backyard and back porch were a mess. The neighbor's tree came down into our yard, crushing the fence and covering some of our decorative trees and our peach tree was torn off at the top. The super coaster was lifted and carried about 15 feet across the yard!

My husband is using the axe to move brush.


The seesaw is covered by fallen tree.

The top of the peach tree. I won't need to find the ladder anymore to harvest the peaches.

The super coaster where it landed, still in one piece!

Tom Sawyer is standing next to one of the piles of limbs that is taller than he is. Guess what we are doing for chore time tomorrow? It certainly will be a big chore to clear this yard.


All around the neighborhood tonight, there are large limbs and power lines down. The church up the street lost a major tree, which fell right into the street, blocking traffic in both directions. 

We feel so blessed to be safe and sound and to have great neighbors who were out helping each other before the storm was even completely over. Even as I type this evening, neighbors are still out with chain saws cleaning up the roads. Thank goodness we are all safe and sound.

Blessings, Dawn


15 comments:

  1. It has been crazy lately, hasn't it. We came back from our Beach trip to tree damage. So sorry about the peach tree. Hope it makes it, but I am really glad you all are safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawn, that was one BIG storm!! Praising God for your safety! The poor peach tree looks so sad...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes!!!!!!!!

    I am so glad you all are okay!

    We had a tornado warning last Friday and had to take shelter. There is minor damage here, but thankfully our property is fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a storm! Glad you are all OK. Too bad about the peach tree :(


    I was thinking the same thing about projects. Even though we didn't finish our Roman villa we did learn about the types of houses the the Roman's lived in, and about mosaics and murals. That's really why we were doing the project in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my! I pray that the rest of your summer is boring in comparison!!! Glad that all is well.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow...your description was so vivid, I felt like I saw the whole thing with you! PTL you all got inside safely...


    Lori@Plans4You

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my ! I am soooooooo glad you all are okay ! And to little damage and all the wonderful giving neighbors too ! What a blessing. (((((((((HUGS))))))))))). I am so sorry about your peach tree but PTL it wasn't your house. Did your hubby have any trouble driving home ? Or was it not where he was driving ?


    I am thankful you all are safe and sound and what a amazing S&T you got to share.


    Sending you blessings and ((hug)) my SSiC

    In Him<><

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is SCARY!!! Sounds like a scene from a movie! I'm glad you all kept safe but what a mess! What a blessing to have helpful neighbors!

    Love, Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yowza! Glad you all made it through safely at least!


    www.thepiratemom.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. glad to know that more than just the coaster is in one piece... you and your family! Praise Him for His protection!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank God noone was hurt! That was quite an experience.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow! What a storm. I'm sorry for the damage and thankful that you are all safe. I'm really sorry about the peach tree. (((Dawn)))


    Hugs to you!

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow; that was quite a scare! Praise God you're all okay & have such great neighbors all pitching in for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I'm glad y'all are okay! We had damage like that when I lived on the Texas Oklahoma border.

    Blessings,

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad you all came out safely. I bet your children will think twice about sitting on the porch watching a storm with Mommy, eh?!

    ReplyDelete