Thursday, July 16, 2009

Friday Show and Tell ~ Eating Like Ancient Romans

We are finishing up our studies on Ancient Rome. We decided to have a Roman meal in the traditional fashion of laying down as they did at parties. I must admit that the kids were not impressed with laying down while eating. I heard all kinds of comments about how the Ancient Romans must have choked all the time and were lazy. However, they played along to appease their silly mother. 



We ate sausage, corn, olives, peppers and tomatoes, flat rice bread with honey (because we are gluten free) and warm grape juice (to represent wine). One of the many interesting facts that we learned about the food ate by Romans is that they always drank their wine diluted and warm. 



We tried several different ways of reclining while eating and found that none of the ways were very easy. It was a fun cultural lesson.

Hopefully, we will get to make our aqueduct on Friday, and I will get to post it. However, I have a nasty summer cold and would rather lay about and rest. We will see what is to come. We start learning about pirates next week!

Blessings, Dawn

9 comments:

  1. My kids balked at the idea of reclining while eating too. We didn't do it. Good for all of you though for doing it! Good idea on switching the rooms. My favorite designer on hgtv is Candice Olson, Divine Design, who creates gorgeous rooms. When she found out how this one family used their rooms, she flip flopped the living room with the dining room...so go for it!

    B

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fun! I did not know about the wine being warmed. Neat. We too tried the reclining while eating...not so comfy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like fun. Although I have to agree with your kids that it looks like a very difficult way to actually eat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm impressed. What a great way get into the culture of the time. Yes, I think we'd all be surprised at many of the cultural differences!

    So . . . you school all year? Good for you. Keeps the "natives" from becoming restless and bored and wild. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh what fun ! I have to admit that I can understand the kids opinions of laying down while eating. That would make it hard to digest. [0; I sure loved reading how you adapted your meal to your food allergies. We would have to do some moderations ourselves. Please let me know if you get your post about your aqueduct up. I would love to see it ! And I can't wait to see what you will do with your pirate study. My two youngest will want to follow suit. [0=


    Blessings and ((HUGS)) my SSiC

    In Him<><

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great picture. Looks like you had fun learning about Rome and created some good memories.

    -Dusti

    www.kimmelkids4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. They may not have liked doing it, but they'll never forget it! What a wonderful way of wrapping up the unit.


    Annie Kate

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun stuff! I guess you should be glad they don't want to lie down while they eat! LOL


    Letitia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, I'd have to agree with your kiddos. No laying down for me and eating, even not pregnant it wouldn't be fun.

    Pirates!! That sounds awesome!! Can't wait to see the things you have planned.

    Get some rest and get better soon!! summer colds are yucky!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete