Friday, December 12, 2014

Week 19 ~ Taking Christmas Slow and Easy

I have been struggling with getting it all done this week. It seems like I am reacting to life instead of being prepared for each thing as it comes along. I really like to be prepared. I've also had my fair share of struggles with motivation for a few weeks now. I thought I was sick or maybe depressed. However, neither really fit my feelings or physical state. Finally, my Mother, who should have been a research librarian, hit upon my problem ~ BURNOUT! The description of burnout fits me perfectly. It make perfect sense with all that I have been through with Goldilocks in the past few years. I am just 100% spent and exhausted. But I am still filled with life and joy for the season. I want to do so many things, but can't find the energy or focus to get it all done. I need to rest and heal. So, we are looking at priorities and deciding carefully if each event is really important to this Christmas season. It has been slower and more relaxing so far and that is a good thing.

Gingerbread Show ~ We had a lovely time going to the Grove Park Inn to see the gingerbread show. We love it every year and it is doubly special now that Tim's day program enters a display each year. We chose to park on a public street and walk in this time instead of paying the rather expensive, on-grounds parking fee. It would have cost as much as a gift for someone. The walk was all uphill but not nearly as bad as we thought it would be.

The display that Tim helped to make.
Our favorite one front and back ~ Narnia
The back of the Narnia display
Christmas Baking ~ We baked all day one day this week. We made dozens of our two most important Christmas cookies ~ Molasses Sugar and Chocolate Kiss Surprise. We are still hoping to make gingerbread cookies some time during our Christmas vacation. We packed up bags of cookies and gave them to our dance teachers, therapists, and physical therapists.


Christmas Cards ~ The kids and I managed to get half of them out this week. The rest will hopefully be done next week. It has been hard this year because of the need to inform people or update people who are already in the know about what has happened to Goldilocks. 

Homeschooling ~ This is our second to last week before a well needed break. 
  • Tom Sawyer did several hours of writing homework for his last writing class until after the New Year. 
  • Literature ~ The Invention of Hugo Cabret! We loved this story and watched a DVD interview with the author. We look forward to seeing the movie this weekend. 
  • CNN Student News each day
  • The kids researched "Holi", the Indian Spring Festival. Then we realized that we were studying the wrong country for Culture Club so had to change gears!
  • The kids researched the platypus for the country Australia and created a presentation.
  • The kids presented their platypus paper at Culture Club in front of about 30 people. 
  • 22 pages of language arts work sheets were completed.
  • Tom Sawyer did seven Teaching Textbook math lessons and Little Red Riding Hood did five lessons.
  • The kids did two Christmas writing promps.
  • Journal and reading time was accomplished each day.

On the Blog this Week ~ My Christmas Book Picks!

It was a good week. I didn't get everything done on the list, but I got the important things done.

Blessings, Dawn

9 comments:

  1. It seems to me that it has been a very productive week, despite your feeling burntout. When it comes to this, it's best to just slow down and rest. I have slowed down our pace quite a lot this week and we're all feeling much happier for it! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the Narnia display- that's just beautiful.

    Burnout is rough - resetting goals and slowing down sounds like a good plan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it does look like you are still getting quite a bit done - even if you don't feel like you're giving it your all. And, the gingerbread show - how fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely understand and agree that it sounds like burnout. I hope this is a restful time for you all and you can find events that are truly enjoyable and restful without causing stress. The gingerbread houses look wonderful and the Narnia one is amazing. Have a good week before your break!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The gingerbread show looks like lots of fun! I think we all suffer from burn out from time to time. Be sure to take time to refresh yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Taking it easy around Christmas sounds very wise! we have done the same because of my operation and so far it has been a breeze instead of a constant rush. It feels good to slow down sometimes.
    I do hope you get all the rest you need this Christmas. xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you have a break coming up :) The village looks so awesome! Baking cookies is something we will be doing this week ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm glad you are intending to take it easy, Dawn. I don't know many people who've had as intense a year as you. You deserve a bit of relaxation. I love the gingerbread show pictures. I'd love to go to something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I do hope you have a chance to rest, and enjoy your rest! You have had such an intense year that is bound to take quite a toll on anyone, let alone a very busy homeschooling mom like yourself. (I just loved the book The Invention of Hugo Cabret - much more than the movie it turned out)

    ReplyDelete