Friday, November 30, 2018

Week 14 ~ The Nutcracker and Decking the Halls

For the month of December, I will have a different theme each week about how we celebrate Christmas. This week it is the Nutcracker and how we deck the halls. The Nutcracker and the Mouse King is completely taking over our lives at the moment. We are very busy with shows. We did do math, literature, history and health this week. We also made it to all out-of-the-home classes. However, most of our time was spent at the theater or resting up for the theater. Anne is in five dances as five different characters and Dean is working backstage for all rehearsals and shows. We will be spending 20+ hours at the theater before the weekend is complete. Unfortunately, my camera really struggled with the dark environment, but I got a few shots.
Anne is the first leap during the cat dance. It is a very dark piece and it is hard to take a successful video.

At the end of the elastic doll dance, the mouse king attacks the dolls. Anne is trying to save her friend "doll" and pulls her off stage.
Elastic Dolls ~ Anne center

The story within a story scene ~ Anne as princess (in mask) in the background

Image may contain: 1 person, indoor
Anne as Princess

Image may contain: one or more people, night and outdoor
Cat scene ~ Anne front right
Image may contain: 1 person, night and indoor
Pop Rock Candy ~ Anne is center in other dancers arms


Getting directions ~ Anne in princess dress

Dean blew up balloons and made all the hanging pom poms ~ poor boy!

Cat Scene
Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, standing


Mermaids ~ Anne third from the left

Image may contain: 3 people, including Dawn Beasom Purdom, people smiling, people standing

We also spent lots of time decorating the house. We have collected our Christmas decor for years. I hate paying full price, so everything has been acquired from after-Christmas sales and thrift stores. My most recent finds are the two snowmen stocking holders I scored for $4 at a thrift store. They are really heavy. Hopefully, I will find more in time. I love Christmas decorating and had several hours of fun laying it all out. I took a chance and pulled out some of the breakable things, even though we have a kitten in the house. Much to my surprise, she so far has left it all alone.

We laid out our favorite Christmas picture books



I have been collecting Fontanini nativity pieces since my late teens. 

My Mother decided to stop decorating much at Christmastime and gave me her stable (inn).

I love it!
Lights make everything more festive.

My choir figures
And last but not least....The TREE! Dean wanted a themed tree this year with only red balls. We compromised and used all the balls we had (regardless of the color), plus a few glittery flowers from a dollar store.


Image may contain: christmas tree, living room and indoor


Blessings, Dawn

6 comments:

  1. So fun to see the Nutcracker pictures and your decorations! We haven't decorated at all yet, Rebekah is eating everything. I think we'll put up our tree with lights, but no decorations, soon. She will eat hooks and ornaments, so those won't go on the tree until Christmas Eve I think. Have a wonderful, relaxing where you can, December!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Nutcracker photos! It's always interesting to see how different dance groups do the production. Love the decorations. I'm trying to decide what to add to our kitchen to make it more festive, I like the lights on the cabinets you've done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many lovely Christmas-y pictures. Anne is just beautiful on stage! And hooray for Dean's work to prep the stage! May your Christmas season fill your heart with peace.

    (And I like the lights in your kitchen, too!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I love the Nutcracker. Anne is amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Nutcracker pictures look wonderful! Your house looks lovely too. I deck every corner as well! Your manger scene is very unique!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is a beautiful tree! I have always wanted to see a live performance of the Nutcracker. I'm sure it's a lot of work but I know your daughter just loves it.

    ReplyDelete