Thursday, September 25, 2008

Friday Show and tell ~ Story of the World Timeline




To see more great entries go to Canadagirl.


I wanted to have a timeline when I started Story of the World with my children, but the company did not have one.  I looked around at the pre-made ones and thought they were all very expensive and did not always have the exact characters talked about in our history book.  So, I decided to make my own.  I found this great site over the summer.  It (www.makingfriends.com) was created to encourage children to have pen pals.  However, the paper dolls were so cute that I thought they would make great timeline figures.  I printed them out and found that the nativty clothes could be made into great costumes for Ancient Civilizations.  Hurray!  For the price of printer ink, glue, and crayons, I have a cute timeline that goes great with our book.  The timeline runs along the stairwell between our first and second floors, and the kids stop and talk to the characters sometimes when they are on the stairs.  I love making history come alive!








Sorry this figure is blurry.  You get the idea!


Please go see my son's show and tell at TKB.  He has an important message this week.


Blessings, Dawn

17 comments:

  1. We did a similar style timeline with MOH a few years back. The kids really remember so much from that. Our favorite timeline was many years ago. We did the book of Exodus and timelined it with as much real to life figures as possible. For example I had real model ants and flies. I am going to check out the site where you got your figures. They are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what a cute idea! those figures are great.


    sounds like things are going well. :--)


    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a marvelous idea!! I am thinking about which wall to use this on in our house :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. We use a time line book, but those are so cute that it makes it tempting to start one. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I like this.

    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, what a fabulous idea! I've always wanted a timeline, but never invested the time or creativity into it. Well done!


    Have a lovely weekend,

    Shani

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dawn,


    I LOVE It! Thank you so much for sharing that. I fully intend to bookmark that site and use the fool out of it for our new MOH Vol. 2 timeline. I put mine on a sewing board so I can fold it up and store it and keep it forever. We used paper dolls for Vol. 1, but they weren't nearly so cute as what you have shared here.


    Thank you!

    tracy

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a cool idea. Have a great day.

    Dot

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been trying to make a timeline with the kids too. I hadn't thought about making my own characters like that. Thanks for sharing.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made my own time line also for US history. That old dot-matrix printer paper that runs all together worked well. Then I found an old set of Golden book encyclopedias at a garage sale to use for the pictures. We cut them out and pasted them along the time line. Fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Did you put your timeline along the staircase, then? Is it at the same slant as the stairs? I still need to make one of these.


    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  12. What GREAT idea and find ! I have to get our time line going. It is good we have only done a few explorer's. Yes, to make history come alive is a GOOD thing.


    Blessings and ((HUGS)) my SSiC

    In Him<><

    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your timelilne - it is great! I too have made one of my own, at least the figures. We have a big spiral book we put ours into - no big wall space unfortunately to show them off on.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Girlfriend, you are too much with the paper doll cutouts! Oh, how I wish I was as creative--I could have probably saved myself a whole lot of money!


    Will you be posting more of your "big teen's" high school plans? These are interesting to me as I begin to pull together a plan for the next four years. I'd love to see more of why you chose the particular plans you chose. Of course, who am I to tell you what you should write, right (smile)? If you're not going to post them, I'd love to talk more offline.


    God bless you, Dawn. I do pray that all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. and a wonderful way to get the little ones to put their hands on the events of history. Love that site! That is one of the very first sites I found when I went on line years ago and has been a steady standby for years.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The boys and I are planning our timeline for Story of the World too. I am going to see if they want to do this for ours! Thanks for sharing the site!

    ReplyDelete