Sunday, March 1, 2009

A Remarkable Event

 An amazing event has taken place in our home this past week. Our little Goldilocks got the flu with the rest of the family! What is remarkable about that, you say? Well, in the more than six years we have had her she has only been mildly sick three or four times. Is her immune system that good? (no) Did her birth mother nurse her with some really powerful breast milk? (No, she was fed Mountain Dew or alcohol for the first 16 months of her life.) It is a little known fact outside of mothers of Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) children that these kids simply do not get sick. The professionals are not entirely sure why. However, they suspect that it is because these kids' survival instincts are so finely tuned that their bodies actually ward off germs. I don't know how factual this is, but I do know that most mothers of RAD children agree that their kids do not get sick until they are really starting to let their defenses down and begin the healing process. So that is the remarkable part of my week. Goldilocks not only got the flu with a fever, but she took a nap two days in a row without sedating medication. She has not slept one night without sedating medication in 6 years.  Just another way my Goldilocks is letting us know that she is healing little by little. 


This is one of the only pictures I have of my little one sleeping. Even as a toddler, you could not look in on her without waking her up, let alone take a picture.

Blessings, Dawn

11 comments:

  1. What a blessing, Dawn! Praying for continued healing for Goldilocks and for everyone to be over the flu soon!!


    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing what we can be thankful for huh? Your Goldilocks is a miracle and I am glad He placed her in your home!


    What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is interesting and amazing what our bodies will do to protect themselves. And, how bittersweet for you to find some amount of joy in your daughter being sick. Of course, I know you don't want her sick, but to know the healing that is beginning to take place. God is good, and I pray this morning that His love will continue to seep into the recesses or her heart and heal.

    Letitia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this may be the one and only time someone has declared that the flu is a blessing! Good for you and little Goldilocks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am sorry that the flu has hit your home, but I'm happy for the hope that you have in the midst of it.


    I love your decluttering idea for Lent, too. I SO need to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aaaww. Aside from having to deal with the sickness, this sounds like wonderful news for her little heart and soul.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is very sweet so glad she is feeling more relaxed and letting her defenses down. Sorry she had to be sick though. The picture is so sweet. I know I love looking at my children sleeping so peacefully and cute.

    Have a great week!

    SchoolinRhome

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so cute. A picture I know you will treasure forever.


    We have it in our house too. Hubby had to go to doc and on top of that I have one (the dancer) that sprained her ankle. I am sooo sick of being sick!


    We have been doing a lot of the educational video schooling the last two weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh how precious.

    I pray her little body is healing from the junk she was exposed to when she was little. So sad to have to start life that way, but so blessed to have you as her Mommy.

    Blessings, Julie

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad to hear about little goldilocks. She looks like and angel sleeping.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's wonderful! No doubt a product of such loving parenting.

    ReplyDelete