The textbook that was our spine for this course was Biology by Prentice Hall. We also used Charles Darwin for Kids with 21 Activities.
Field Trips ~
- Serpentarium Magic ~ We learned about and saw 200 snakes.
- He did a year-long study of the Biltmore Gardens and Greenhouses. We went 11 times.
- Our class visited The Global Wildlife Safari in Louisiana.
- Our class visited The Great Smokey Mountain National Park and saw lots of wildlife.
- We visited Kiawah Island and saw conchs, egrets, deer, Eastern Brown Pelicans, horseshoe crabs, jellyfish and other fish.
- We visited Charleston Tea Plantation and learned about the genetic building blocks of tea.
- He visited the Hendersonville Aquarium and saw baby sharks and lots of coral.
- He visited the local arboretum and learned how biology plays a role in making perfume.
Online Courses ~
- Fascinating Biology ~ He did most of the course.
- Crash Course Biology ~ Our class used this when we were stuck on several concepts.
- TED Talks ~ He watched 21 of them.
Movies and Netflix ~
- Life by the BBC
- Born in China
- Bill Nye Saves the World
- Wild Alaska
- Inside the Human Body
- In the Womb
Science Experiments ~
- Using 60 pre-made slides, he did lots of microscope work.
- He learned to use a stereoscope and used it ten times.
- Our class made slides of pumpkin parts, bacteria, and onions.
- He performed a potato shrinking experiment to show the process of osmosis.
- He made his own agar Petri dishes and collected bacteria to grow in 20 Petri dishes.
- He participated in dissecting a frog.
- He took part in our dissection of a sheep's heart.
- He participated in dissecting a fetal pig.
- He made DNA strands out of candy.
- He wrote about William Harvey, who described and studied the circulatory system.
- He wrote about how waste water is treated.
- He wrote about Charles Darwin.
- He did a descriptive paper on the stomach and how it functions.