The textbook that was our spine for this course was Biology by Prentice Hall. We also used Charles Darwin for Kids with 21 Activities.
Field Trips ~
- Serpentarium Magic ~ We learned about and saw 200 snakes.
- She did a year-long study of the Biltmore Gardens and Greenhouses. We went 11 times.
- Our class visited The Global Wildlife Safari in Louisiana.
- Our class visited The Great Smokey Mountain National Park and saw lots of wildlife.
- We visited Kiawah Island and saw conches, egrets, deer, Eastern Brown Pelicans, horseshoe crabs, jellyfish and other fish.
- We visited Charleston Tea Plantation and learned about the genetic building blocks of tea.
- She visited the Hendersonville Aquarium and saw baby sharks and lots of coral.
- She visited the local arboretum and learned how biology plays a role in making perfume.
Online Courses ~
- Fascinating Biology ~ She did most of the course.
- Crash Course Biology ~ Our class used this when we were stuck on a several concepts.
- TED Talks ~ She watched 21 of them.
Movies and Netflix ~
- Life by the BBC
- Born in China
- Bill Nye Saves the World
- Wild Alaska
- Inside the Human Body
- In the Womb
Science Experiments ~
- Using 60 pre-made slides, she did lots of microscope work.
- She learned to use a stereoscope and used it ten times.
- Our class made slides of pumpkin parts, bacteria, and onions.
- She performed a potato shrinking experiment to show the process of osmosis.
- She made her own agar Petri dishes and collected bacteria to grow in 20 Petri dishes.
- She participated in dissecting a frog.
- She took part in our dissection of a sheep's heart.
- She participated in dissecting a fetal pig.
- She made DNA strands out of candy.
Biology Papers ~
- Louis Pasteur
- Food Waste and What to Do About It
- An Essay on the Esophagus
- George Mendel: The Father of Genetics