Thursday, April 24, 2008

Our Last Biology Dissection

We did the starfish the other day.  As usual this dissection was really to benefit the big teen since it is his course work, but everyone got in on the action.  I probably should have done the starfish first since it has such a simple system but, alas, I did not.  Photos depict (1) before we started the dissection, (2) studying the digestive system ... the mouth is for taking in food as well as removing waste, and (3) examining the reproductive system under the microscope to determine if we had a male or female (it was male). 














Everyone loves the microscope.  This brings us to the end of our dissections.  We were able to do a cow's heart, cow's eye, frog,  and a starfish.  I wanted to do a fetal pig, but time and funds didn't allow this time around.  The big teen is more than happy to watch a pig dissection on the Internet anyway.  My little ones will do all of these and more in about 8 more years, so we will get to do this all again. 


Blessings, Dawn

4 comments:

  1. I get the willies baiting a hook. But I know it is necessary, especially since my son wants to be a marine biologist engineer. Maybe I can find a class somewhere just for the disections. One can hope. LOL

    Love the pics as always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did the pig in college. It was pretty cool.

    We haven't started dissecting stuff here yet....still have a few years to go.


    I had no idea that PWS meant trying to eat non-food items. Wow, it is going to be really hard for them.


    ReplyDelete
  3. Your experiments always look like such fun. I think my son would have enjoyed this.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Waaayyy COOL! You always have the best school days

    Blessings,

    Jacque

    ReplyDelete