Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Summer Writing

This week I wanted to work on writing, and I thought a good way to do that would be to have the kids do a pen pal program.  We decided to do makingfriends.com because you only exchange letters once, plus it involved creating your own paper dolls.  The kids had lots of fun making the dolls, and just as I had thought, were already a bit rusty in writing.  Goldilocks had forgotten about spacing and Little Red Ridinghood had some letter reversals going on.  I will have to find some more ways to keep them writing during our summer break.  Anyway, they will be getting mail back in a few weeks, so that should be fun.


I have decided for the little ones that I am going to keep summer break going until mid-July, instead of starting July 1st.  I will still be starting the big teen at the beginning of July with half-time school work.  He didn't get creative writing and art finished last year, so we will be trying to finish those courses up and then moving on with 12th grade.  We are 4 weeks into his break, and he is starting to get restless, anyway.  Just the other day, I caught him reading some of his government textbook for next school year.








Blessings, Dawn

7 comments:

  1. I found it many years back and have used those cute little paper dolls for all kinds of projects. Pen Pals are always a blast.

    Here's an idea to keep them writing this summer. Maybe a daily journal of what they did would be fun. You could get some notebooks, collage the covers with pictures and they could write and illustrate to their hearts content. Maybe share their entires at dinnertime. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dawn, Thanks for coming by my blog and leaving comments. Just to let you know, I am scared to death of snakes and just cringed when my son had that one by the tail. If hubby hadn't of been there, there is no telling how that snake would of ended up. lol Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the writing. My son (10) has phonological dsylexia and is having a hard time writing due to poor spelling. With daddy deployed, he actually sat down tonight to write him a letter. I think that will be a weekly thing for him to do. Also, we'd love to exchange post cards with you, if you wouldn't mind. I have several nice ones of Japan. Just drop me an email at subbertfamily@yahoo.com and I'll have the kiddos write some postcards for you. Have a wonderful day!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for stopping by my blog and for the nice comment about our home. I have enjoyed my visit to your blog. You are doing some really great things with the kids. I love the tea party~so pretty and the unplug your kids sticky day!!

    Blessings,

    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've used that site before for the paperdolls, but didn't realize that they had a penpal program.


    Too funny that you "caught" him reading his text! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sending and getting mail are great motivators for writing! We have done postcard trading in the past. It's a lot of fun too! Yahoo groups -- postcard kids is specifically for HSers. You may want to try that as well occasionally.

    ReplyDelete
  7. blessedwith2angelsJune 15, 2008 at 11:52 AM

    You do such neat projects with the kids. I think I am going to have my son do something similar. He doesn't like to write, so maybe this would help.

    Pam

    ReplyDelete