Monday, June 30, 2008

Unplug Your Kids ~ Garden

This week's project with unplug your kids is gardening.  I thought we would skip this one, because my garden is very filled with weeds.  Then my ds pointed out how ripe the peaches looked on our peach tree and wanted to try one.  They were not completely ripe but still very good.  I looked at the calendar and realized that they would be ready for picking right about the time I would be in the midst of a new round of Tomatis for my Sensory Integration Disorder children (this is an activity that requires travel and takes about 4 hours daily for 10 days).  In other words, I would have no time to deal with hundreds of peaches.  According to picking instructions for peaches that are being shipped, they were ripe enough, so I set the kids to picking. 

My best picker is the big teen (first two photos).  Shown in the third photo is about half of what came off our single tree!  Since not all of the peaches were ripe enough for freezing, I put the girls to work bagging them to speed the process along.  Then I made a fresh 100% organic peach crisp.  Delicious!





















I hope to start freezing the ones that are ready today.  It feels so good to be able to put up some peaches for winter!


Blessings, Dawn

15 comments:

  1. That peach cobbler looks yummy. Can you share the recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow - look at all those peaches! We have a tree in our yard and have had difficulty getting ripe beauties like those. Fingers crossed for this year. I am sure you will remember the summer when you get to eat some of those through winter :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. www.homeschoolblogger.com/NatureNotesFromAboveJune 30, 2008 at 5:02 AM

    Yum!! I would love to have a peach tree :) They are on of my favorite summertime fruits. Your dessert looks super to!

    Blessings,

    Nature Mama

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh please share your recipe! I know that was alot of work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. ...I'm SO jealous~ peaches are my favorite fruit! Where do you live that they are already in season?

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am jealous! What amazing peaches. We have an apple tree and its dying.

    www,myfamilylovesit.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. although we are not peach eaters here, I can appreciate your harvest. Great helpers there. I planted a pear tree about 10 years ago and last year we had our first crop-3 pears. I hope to get a few more this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a harvest you had! How lovely! We can't grow peaches very well here as the season is too short. Your cobbler makes my mouth water. Thanks for joining in!


    http://www.unplugyourkids.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a lot of peaches! It must be nice to have the fresh fruit in the winter!


    www.seekingimperfection.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy looking peaches! We had them here, but took them out because of a bacteria thing in our soil not conducive to

    peach growing apparently.:-( We do have plums,pears and cherries though.

    KateinNJ http://growinginthegardenstate.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...what a great project for your family! We are thinking of planting some blueberry bushes, but I'm afraid the birds will beat us to the picking.

    ReplyDelete
  12. good looking peaches! I hope you are having a good summer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh what fun! How wonderful!

    Blessings,

    Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  14. That looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm amazed you already have a harvest of peaches! Usually we can't get any until mid-August.

    ReplyDelete